Wife Doesn’t Do Camper Vans!!

Home Forum topic Introduce Yourself Wife Doesn’t Do Camper Vans!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 155 total)
  • Author
    bob the builder
    Participant

Hi everybody,my name is Bob an ex builder now a very proud full time dad for my two year old twins.I have always fancied a Camper Van/Motorhome and two years ago just after our baby twins were born i finally achevied it with a transit 4 berth camper,we packed the family in it and set off for a titanic style trip which lasted only three days,when my wife announced she hated it and could we go home please!! Two weeks later the Camper was sold.I still love the idea myself and i am considering buying the biggest Transit Minibus i can,keeping about 6 seats and converting the rest of it into a really nice day van with all facilities apart from the beds.Where do i start??? Can i drive a big minibus with most of the seats removed on a normal licence?? I really havent a clue about all the legalities etc but i am very handy with a saw….LOL. Bob.

Major Gruber
    Participant

As long as you’ve ehad your
    As long as you’ve ehad your licence a few years, you can drive a private minibus on an ordinary car licence (up to 17 seats I think) If you have only recently passed, then you won’t be able to drive any kind of van or minibus until you take a futher test.

Assuming you can drive one, take out most of the seats and insure it as a van. I believe the cutoff point between an official minibus and an MPV is 8 seats, because some Land Rovers have this many. Minibus insurance is crucifying, as there are only two companies (Minibus Plus and MCE I believe) who will insure them. once you have done your conversion, there is no need to retain the official Ford dseats, but all seats which face forward MUST have seatbelts even if they convert to beds. Side facing seats are not required to have belts, but it would be a good idea. imagine your kids flying around the interior if you rolled the van on a motorway….

Major Gruber
    Participant

As long as you’ve ehad your licence a few years, you can drive a private minibus on an ordinary car licence (up to 17 seats I think) If you have only recently passed, then you won’t be able to drive any kind of van or minibus until you take a futher test.

Assuming you can drive one, take out most of the seats and insure it as a van. I believe the cutoff point between an official minibus and an MPV is 8 seats, because some Land Rovers have this many. Minibus insurance is crucifying, as there are only two companies (Minibus Plus and MCE I believe) who will insure them. once you have done your conversion, there is no need to retain the official Ford dseats, but all seats which face forward MUST have seatbelts even if they convert to beds. Side facing seats are not required to have belts, but it would be a good idea. imagine your kids flying around the interior if you rolled the van on a motorway….

Major Gruber
    Participant

Major Gruber
    Participant

Major Gruber
    Participant

Major Gruber
    Participant

Major Gruber
    Participant

Major Gruber
    Participant

Major Gruber
    Participant

Major Gruber
    Participant

Major Gruber
    Participant

Major Gruber
    Participant

Major Gruber
    Participant

Major Gruber
    Participant

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 155 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.