Which split charge relay kit?

Home Forum topic Campervan Conversions Which split charge relay kit?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Global_s
    Participant

I’ve had a look on ebay and the choice is bewildering! I’d rather not spend more then I need to, but they range in price so much.

Can anyone suggest what I should be looking for it a kit? I’m going to be using it to charge a single 110Ah leisure battery.

Thank you!

andy m
    Participant

a good quality voltage
    a good quality voltage sensing relay should do the job. the problem can be that people fit them and they are not up to the job which burns and welds the relay contacts resulting in discharged starting battery. i fitted a 120amp vsr to keep 2x 110 ah leisure batt topped up when engine is running or im on hook up and battery charger is working. i fitted 80amp fuses in line. some may think thats over the top but ive heard of too many people fitting the 30amp relays and having problems.. if a battery is well discharged it will take a fair current hence a hefty relay. ta andy

andy m
    Participant

a good quality voltage
    a good quality voltage sensing relay should do the job. the problem can be that people fit them and they are not up to the job which burns and welds the relay contacts resulting in discharged starting battery. i fitted a 120amp vsr to keep 2x 110 ah leisure batt topped up when engine is running or im on hook up and battery charger is working. i fitted 80amp fuses in line. some may think thats over the top but ive heard of too many people fitting the 30amp relays and having problems.. if a battery is well discharged it will take a fair current hence a hefty relay. ta andy

andy m
    Participant

a good quality voltage

Vixser
    Participant

Depends on how you charge from it
    I agree a voltage sensitive relay is the better way to go, trying to locate and wire a split charge system from the alternator can be difficult, it’s a proper mission to find the right wires from some cars/vans.

There are generally 2 types of charger relay/split charger systems.

1. Activated by power in the alternator circuit. You have a relay that connects a cable from the alternator or van battery to the leisure battery, however this relay is open (the switch is open and the power doesn’t flow) until there is power in a circuit powered by the alternator. Usually this is the alternator charging light or something else that doesn’t actually get power until the engine is running.
    2. Voltage sensitive relays. Easiest thing to fit, basically you connect the live from the starter battery to the relay, and the relay to the leisure battery, and earth it properly. For this relay, it starts charging the leisure battery when the voltage across the starter battery is over about 13.8v (the voltage across the starter battery when the engine is running is around 14v), and shut off, isolating the batteries, when the voltage across the starter drops to 12.8v.

The type of relay depends on how you want to charge the leisure battery, if it’s direct from the starter battery, you want one with big amps and fuses like Andy said (pehaps like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121110586358) as replacing broken fuses is much cheaper than new relays, and less annoying than dead batteries.
    If you have a DC charger (i.e. you want the power from the starter going to a proper charger, or a zig) you can have a lower amp one, however I’d still fuse it and check what the charger will draw.

Hope that’s some help.

Vixser
    Participant

I agree a voltage sensitive relay is the better way to go, trying to locate and wire a split charge system from the alternator can be difficult, it’s a proper mission to find the right wires from some cars/vans.

1. Activated by power in the alternator circuit. You have a relay that connects a cable from the alternator or van battery to the leisure battery, however this relay is open (the switch is open and the power doesn’t flow) until there is power in a circuit powered by the alternator. Usually this is the alternator charging light or something else that doesn’t actually get power until the engine is running.
    2. Voltage sensitive relays. Easiest thing to fit, basically you connect the live from the starter battery to the relay, and the relay to the leisure battery, and earth it properly. For this relay, it starts charging the leisure battery when the voltage across the starter battery is over about 13.8v (the voltage across the starter battery when the engine is running is around 14v), and shut off, isolating the batteries, when the voltage across the starter drops to 12.8v.

The type of relay depends on how you want to charge the leisure battery, if it’s direct from the starter battery, you want one with big amps and fuses like Andy said (pehaps like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121110586358) as replacing broken fuses is much cheaper than new relays, and less annoying than dead batteries.
    If you have a DC charger (i.e. you want the power from the starter going to a proper charger, or a zig) you can have a lower amp one, however I’d still fuse it and check what the charger will draw.

Hope that’s some help.

Vixser
    Participant

Hope that’s some help.

ofb
    Participant

Voltage sensitive relay is the way to go IMO
    I went for this one, the guy was also helpful with info ect
    http://www.rawcomponents.co.uk/intelligent-split-charge-kits/intelligent-50-70a-model

ofb
    Participant

http://www.rawcomponents.co.uk/intelligent-split-charge-kits/intelligent-50-70a-model

ofb
    Participant

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.