Where to insulate

Home Forum topic Campervan Conversions Where to insulate

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    scotchgitt
    Participant

Newbie here . I have built my dayvan. Now I’m going to continue and convert it to a camper.

My first project is to linsulate, panel and carpet the walls and roof.

So my question is

If I just plan using double foil bubble 5mm ply and camper carpet.

It’s more for April to October use

1 Do I stick the foils to the inside of the metal of the van the line and carpet? Or 2 stick it to the back of the ply and there fore leave an airgap between the bubble and the van wall

Or a 3rd option is to line on top of the ply and under the carpet lining?

Or do I do both 1 and 2or3?

Darren
    Keymaster

Hi

Option 1 is best.
    Insulate the shell of the van. This makes it easier to attach the ply to the van.
    Insulate as much as you can, including the ceiling.
    The floor isn’t necessary for a non-winter van, it’s also harder to do.

kevingardner
    Participant

The way to insulate your van is to create a well-insulated room, thereby covering all the metal, with a vapour barrier between the main room and metal whilst doing your best to ensure that your van is well ventilated.

The combination of insulation, a vapour barrier, and ventilation keeps the moist air inside the van warm until it escapes to the outside.

The insulation fundamentally keeps the van warm whilst the vapour barrier prevents the water vapour getting to the cold metal and condensing.

Glass wool is perfect for bunging in all the large cavities that you get in vans, plus it’s cheap, so this is a good product to start with.
    olid insulation boards are becoming more and more popular and there is no question they are great insulators, providing you have the space for them.

The insulation can be secured in place using high temperature spray adhesive – it is recommended that a small airspace is maintained between insulation and the finished panels of the vehicle. This provides the space required to reflect heat back into the vehicle.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.