What’s best: France or the UK?

Home Forum topic Camping What’s best: France or the UK?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    thewritersroom
    Participant

New to the site and the Forum, I’m based in Brittany and have finally acquired a rather ageing camper to enjoy as much family time as possible.

With this UK-France combination in mind, and being a freelance writer, I wanted to write an article about campervaning and compare france and the UK. I thought, this will be a great way to combine work and fun.

Then I realised I seriously need some more input!

If anyone out there feels ready to share, I’d love to hear your views: which is better for taking campervan trips: Uk or France?
    Which are the best crossings or ferry providers?
    Are the services any better in one or the other?

It seems to me that France has more low cost places to stay but then it also has toll roads. What’s the conclusion?

All answers very much appreciated, it’s making me think about next summer already!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
  1. FRANCE
    FRANCE..FRANCE and once again.. FRANCE!

Reason?

It’s not the UK!

2. Low Cost Internet in France
    Forgot to say its Mobicarte 3G that you want now for low cost internet in France. Its Pay as You Go. Just get the SIM.

3. Camping in France
    France is great. Lots of good campsites and other parking places for vans. Now that I have found low cost mobile internet France is perfect!

4. we enjoy france in the summer
    we enjoy france in the summer holidays, as a teacher is a cheaper way of going abroad in school hols. Like Sea France as not as expensive as P&O but really nice ferries. For the last 2 years we then drove Briattny way taking our time – kids love it aswell. Anyone know what Carnac and La Trinite like as fancy slighly more sun- we have stayed in Beg Mail last 2 years and love it.

5. If you want stories and
    If you want stories and advice on motorhoming can i suggest these websites.
    http://www.wildcamping.co.uk – useful forums and ideas
    wwww.motorhome365.com – fulltime motorhomer website – excellent site!!
    http://www.furgovw.org – maps thousands of free places to camp all around europe with coordinates and images

these 3 will be very useful check out the forums, register and interact with other motorhomers

Good luck with your travel writting I would love to do that but dont know where to start

6. Ireland?
    Hi we live in Northern Ireland and camp down south very frequently,I don’t know if you had thought about Ireland but the wild camping there is excellent, we always just ask a local in a nearby house if its ok and usually we’ve been invited in for dinner, given tea, offers to use the shower, given fresh fish you name it. Its really safe, there’s very little traffic and we’ve rarely shared our wild sites with other campers. The landscape is stunning and the beaches almost deserted.

I can highly recommend it, good luck with the project

Rach

7. I think France is considered
    I think France is considered the better place to visit with a campervan.
    France encourages campervans, and even has Aires De Service, places where you can stop your vehicle overnight and during the day. Some have electricity and water supplies. You might pay a few Euros in the summer, but they are generally free outside of the summer.

In England and Wales it is pretty much illegal to park and sleep in your campervan anywhere but private land. Even then you need planning permission if you sleep in the vehicle for more than 28 days in the same location.
    Wild camping in Scotland is allowed.

8. I guess that one considers
    I guess that one considers the best is personal preference and experience.
    Both countries offer great things to see and do, but both countries have different histories and cultures.

Typically the cheapest ferry crossing is with https://www.dfdsseaways.co.uk/. Their Dover to Dunkurque crossing is about £50 1-way for a motorhome/campervan, the trip takes about 2 hours.

If you’re travelling from Brittany then http://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk travel from Roscoff to Plymouth. The journey takes about 5 hours and costs from £150.

As you say France has toll roads, but many travellers only use these when trying to cover large distances quickly. Taking the free smaller roads are often more picturesque.
    Britain has almost no toll roads, but more duty is on fuel, making fuel more expensive.

1. Is France campervan heaven, then?
      It sounds as if France is the better bet.
      For a foreign visitor to the UK, for example, would it be easy to find places to stop over in a camper or would they have to park on a campsite or even in a city centre car park?
      It seems to me that campervan trips int he UK would be pretty costly, whereas one ferryt o France and you can stop for free in many places, roads are good, facilities are good..
      Haven’t yet seen any real advantages in the UK for camper enthusiasts.