What food to take

Home Forum topic Camping What food to take

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Andy P
    Participant

OK, a little bit of a Pop Quiz for you camping guys. Let us assume you have the tent, the dog, the kit and a place to stay. Just what foodstuff would you take along for a weekend of fun? Remember – this can be stored in a coolbag but can only be cooked on a campfire, disposable BBQ or a portable gas cooker. Dried, tinned, frozen or fresh – what would you take?

Andy P.

mgroadster
    Participant

stuffed vine leaves (tinned).
    stuffed vine leaves (tinned). Red, green & yellow peppers that you can roast over naked gas then peel (frozen or fresh). Tinned tuna, pasta (easily boiled in water) garlic bulb, shallots, Garlic bread, pre bagged salad or bagged fresh rocket.Chops,(either lamb or pork) whatever.Bottle of scotch, Bottle of gin, Tonic water, Lemons, 6 bottles of wine.
    Muller yoghurt or rice.
    Cooked breakfast kit for morning…All the stuff you would do.
    Tea bags, coffee, sweetners, milk.Fresh bread, Margarine/butter.

mgroadster
    Participant

stuffed vine leaves (tinned). Red, green & yellow peppers that you can roast over naked gas then peel (frozen or fresh). Tinned tuna, pasta (easily boiled in water) garlic bulb, shallots, Garlic bread, pre bagged salad or bagged fresh rocket.Chops,(either lamb or pork) whatever.Bottle of scotch, Bottle of gin, Tonic water, Lemons, 6 bottles of wine.
    Muller yoghurt or rice.

mgroadster
    Participant

Muller yoghurt or rice.

mgroadster
    Participant

Muller yoghurt or rice.

Andy P
    Participant

Thanks MGR
    Thank you Roadster. A very fine list of foods to take along for the weekend. I will admit I must add some tinned bolognese to add to the pasta, as an option, but otherwise, your list is way cool! Anyone else for spuds wrapped in foil and cooked in the BBQ coals? Fresh baked spuds are so tasty…..

Andy P.

Andy P
    Participant

Thanks MGR
    Thank you Roadster. A very fine list of foods to take along for the weekend. I will admit I must add some tinned bolognese to add to the pasta, as an option, but otherwise, your list is way cool! Anyone else for spuds wrapped in foil and cooked in the BBQ coals? Fresh baked spuds are so tasty…..

Andy P.

Andy P
    Participant

Thanks MGR

Andy P.

Andy P
    Participant

Thanks MGR

Andy P.

beachbetty
    Participant

MGR….good list. Though if I
    MGR….good list. Though if I was in the van I’d swap the g&t for rum, lime juice and a punnet of strawberries. And ice. Yum…. strawberry daiquiris on the beach.
    I’d probably get a box of wine….lighter to carry.
    Tinned rice pudding. Always good for emergencies
    Spuds, or sweet potatoes, for the fire
    veggie burger mix is light to carry, if you don’t mind meatless burgers. Don’t forget….everything tastes better outdoors!

beachbetty
    Participant

MGR….good list. Though if I was in the van I’d swap the g&t for rum, lime juice and a punnet of strawberries. And ice. Yum…. strawberry daiquiris on the beach.
    veggie burger mix is light to carry, if you don’t mind meatless burgers. Don’t forget….everything tastes better outdoors!

beachbetty
    Participant

beachbetty
    Participant

Andy P
    Participant

Okay, so far….
    So then, so far I have the following:

Dried: Pasta.
    Tinned: Vine leaves, tuna, rice pudding, bolognese ( maybe chilli too ).
    Fresh: Sweet peppers, lemons, garlic, shallots, salad, spuds, garlic bread, some meat chops and fruit.
    Plus all the fried brekkie stuff, tea, coffee and such and lots of booze too. I think I shall add a small loaf of bread, some dried rice ready-to-cook and a jar of jam too.

Thanks all for your ideas so far, and any other suggestions?

Andy P.

Andy P
    Participant

Okay, so far….
    So then, so far I have the following:

Dried: Pasta.
    Tinned: Vine leaves, tuna, rice pudding, bolognese ( maybe chilli too ).
    Fresh: Sweet peppers, lemons, garlic, shallots, salad, spuds, garlic bread, some meat chops and fruit.
    Plus all the fried brekkie stuff, tea, coffee and such and lots of booze too. I think I shall add a small loaf of bread, some dried rice ready-to-cook and a jar of jam too.

Thanks all for your ideas so far, and any other suggestions?

Andy P.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.