West London freecamping or vey cheap

Home Forum topic Camping West London freecamping or vey cheap

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    sheriffjonny
    Participant

Hi guys, first post to what is a wonderful little community. Here’s my story, i live in kent but work near Hillingdon west london. Round trip 160 miles every day, tiring and expensive. Now i work nights so i need somewhere i can park up during the day for a kip. I can shower at work if i need to and i probably be staying away from home for 3 nights a week. I wouldn’t mind using a site within 20 minutes if it was cheap, but i’m open to ideas. I mean i still haven’t even got a van yet, so better get busy

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
  1. Motor home parking
    Hi
    Does any one know a long term motor home parking around west London say 30 miles from West ,north or south of Heathrow
    Many thanks
    Leo

2. I usually just park up in a
    I usually just park up in a side street or council car park for the night. I had 2 weeks in Finchley a couple of months back and had no problems. My vans very stealth though, looks like a delivery van not my home. Lol.

3. living in campervan
    i lived in my campervan for two years in london and i have saved 60000 pounds.not bad.

4. I think you are going to find
    I think you are going to find it very very difficult to find a little area to camp on near London with water and electricity on any permamnent or semi permanent arrangement.
    I know one or two park up at Blackheath and I have done the same before entering london the next day for deliveries/collections. But I wouldn’t reccommend permanently staying there unless you drive in and drive out each day.(No facilities though).You could park up at London Gate services on the M1 and pay the night parking fee and again drive in and out as they have all the facilities. Otherwise as anything perm. I think you will be scratching your head.

5. where live in a camper in london
    Hello people, i’m living in London right now and i would like to bring my camper van from Spain and my 2 dogs soon. I’m searching a place to park and live in my van as near as possible to London with maybe more people living in their motorhomes or campers or rent a peace of soil where i could park and be without being afraid about police and disturb by people.Where could stay for long term and have available maybe water and electricity. Also i have e-mail the campings but i think is not possible for long period of time. please if any can help me. Thank you very much.

6. Living in Carparks in London
    Hi
    We’ve spent quite a lot of time staying in the Richmond carpark (Deer Park carpark I think it is). It’s quite cheap and you can have a shower at the swimming pool over the road. We were in our Mercedes Sprinter builder’s van with a toilet in the back. The police talked to us once or twice but if you drive to work each day then return and park in a different spot I can’t see a problem. It’s easy to just park on a street, but you have to be discreet about getting in and out. Best to climb from the driver’s seat to the back rather than stand with the sliding door open so everyone can see inside.

1. Full Timing In London
      Hi

Its very interesting to hear about people living in their vans in London. My girlfriend and I have just got back from Europe and Morocco after a 4 month drive about, now we want to find a super cheap or free place to live permanently in the van for the coming summer.

If anyone knows of somewhere secure with a toilet, easy water and maybe electricity access I would be ridiculously happy with them indeed.

Also, does anybody know of any other full-timers living in zone 1 – 3 of London, I’ve had a look on the net and for obvious reasons not many people seem to be doing it??

Thanks

Ray

1. Hi Ray
        I’m about three weeks from London, I’ll be staying in a stealth camper around zones 1-3. Are you from there originally?

I’ve put ads on Gumtree offering £20 a week to anyone that would like to rent out their drive, but while this is something do-able in cities like Birmingham and Bristol, not many people have driveways that are laying empty in London! I have a couple of friends in Camden & Finchley but even they are not allowed to park their cars outside their houses at certain times of the day, so I’m worried it’s all going to be a bit messy.

I had a conversation with a girl in a bar over a year ago, she was ‘looking after’ a huge warehouse at night and in return the owners were letting her park inside and use the electricity and toilets, this would be a fairly cool setup…

Are you in the van at the moment?

7. actually when i search on
    actually when i search on ebay, i put the upper price limit on there at £2000, been searching everyday now for awhile for new listings, and i missed a real pearl the other day. I’ve seen a few ivecos on there and quite like the look of them, one problem tho, i past my test in 1998 and think i’m only allowed to drive upto 3500kg, they seem to weight that, but laden i’m guessing they’re more

1. When people refer to 3,500KG
      When people refer to 3,500KG van they refer to the laden weight. You licence allows you to drive a 3,500KG laden weight.
      My Sprinter van weighs 2,200KG when empty, but is rated as 3,500KG. So I can add 1,300KG of weight to the van.

8. If free camping, especially
    If free camping, especially stealth I would not park at the same spot everyday. Move around a bit, it’s less obvious.
    You should not have any problems parking and sleeping near to where children play. It is not illegal.

If you want to buy a stealth van all ready to go then I would suggest trawling through the listings on eBay.co.uk and Gumtree.com
    Take your time and have a good look around.
    You set the budget. If you really take your time you might be able to find something for £500, but you wont get much. £1,000 should buy you something simple but reliable. £2,000 gets you more luxury.

9. i was thinking that myself,
    i was thinking that myself, but wasa bit concerned that i might get labelled as a boogeyman. Is it ok to park up near where kids may be playing etc. I don’t know if this is a misplaced concern or not.
    Suggextions for a van? I really want a stealth van, but i really am useless even at basic diy, so want to buy one done. What sort of budget do i need?

10. How about a park? Some parks
    How about a park? Some parks have quiet’ish car parks near them. Could be good for daytime free camping I think.