VW T5 campervan – where do you put everything?

Home Forum topic Camping VW T5 campervan – where do you put everything?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Radders
    Participant

We’ve just bought a VW T5 campervan and haven’t yet worked out the best places to store everything. Although there are lots of places to put things, none of the spaces are particularly big, and it would be great if we could learn from someone else’s experience about the optimum places, e.g. do you actually use the wardrobe for clothes, where do you put towels, washbags, bedding, food, etc?

For example there’s the whole space under the back seat, but because of the mechanism of the rock and roll bed, it’s a bit of a struggle to get the sleeping bags in there, without putting them in from the back – not ideal as it means going outside to get the bedding out!

The kitchen cupboards are totally unstructured – I’m wondering whether there’s anything I could put into them to keep things from rattling round and make it easier to get to the thing you want without removing everything else first! I seem to recall my Dad making judicious use of terry clips to hold wine glasses. has anyone tried this or any other ingenious solutions?

I remember my parents’ caravan had plastic fittings in the top lockers with holes for cups and racks for plates, which kept everything secure – does anyone know whether these sort of things can be bought anywhere, or have any suggestions of how to make them? The top lockers are very small but will be fine for mugs, teabags etc.

Another thing I considered was screwing some wire racks to the inside of the cupboard doors – has anyone done this?

At the moment the grill pan is in a box in a cupboard because it would rattle around too much if left in the space under the hob – but this is such a waste of space I’m wondering how it could be packed to stay in the space under the hob.

There’s even a secret compartment under one of the kitchen units but to use it you would have to empty the cupboard first so I can’t for the life of me think what I would be able to keep there!

There’s a lovely space under the bed which I think is designed for a porta potty but there’s no way we’re having one of those, and it holds the van step nicely, but again seems like a waste of space. A good way of securing the step on the floor in the van would be ideal.

We’ve only been away for a night so far and on that trip we didn’t have all the equipment but I’m wondering where we will put things like the waste water container, folding chairs, awning (when we get one), electric hookup cable, privacy blinds when not in use, etc etc.

I’d love to hear where seasoned campervanners put things, and photos would be grand.

mgroadster
    Participant

Hi, We have a Transit LWB
    Hi, We have a Transit LWB high roof and all space is at a premium although we designed it & built it ourselves…under the seats, in the wardrobe, in the loo room, under the kitchen units…you name it.
    Also there is a storage space above the cab.

mgroadster
    Participant

Hi, We have a Transit LWB
    Hi, We have a Transit LWB high roof and all space is at a premium although we designed it & built it ourselves…under the seats, in the wardrobe, in the loo room, under the kitchen units…you name it.
    Also there is a storage space above the cab.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.