VanCamping Impressions

Home Forum topic Camping VanCamping Impressions

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    2LostInTransit
    Participant

The van already has a tilt angled towards the front, So I parked it on a slight incline as to make up for this. We slept with our heads at the lift gate on the first night.. and that was a big mistake. Because of the wheel well.. there wasn’t much side to side room for the both of us and the temps dropped to 38° over night.

Sunday, we had a better idea and a new plan. turn the van facing up hill and sleep with our heads behind the front seats. this turned out to be a better idea and more comfortable. Over night the temps dropped to 46° so it wasn’t as cold and we couldn’t complain.

But around 3 am I wanted to see the stars before we left the in the morning.. Opening the sliding door, with no lights around.. I saw parts of the milky way I’ve never seen before.. The milk way stretched from horizon to horizon.. it was the biggest view I have ever seen of the milky way. The thing is, my camera isn’t set up to take a picture like that.. and somethings are best left seen in person.

If you’ve never seen the milky way.. I highly recommend that you do so. 90% of those I speak with say they’re never seen the milky way, but it is something they wanted to do. An image of the milky way doesn’t do justice.. and while looking up at the stars.. I noticed a couple of falling stars.. One should find a large field away from city of security lights and wait.. make an outing out of it. We always enjoy the simple pleasures in life.

All in all.. camping in the van after we figured out the best way to sleep in the back, was very rewarding and comfortable. Now that this test was a success.. we’ll be looking to do more camping in the van and this time we might even be able to camp in the van at the beach. never did like setting up a tent in those windy conditions or tracking sand into the tent thereafter.

My over all impression of the our travel was great, the van handles like a dream taking some rough inclines and steep hills. Camping in the back was very rewarding, having the two sliding door setup was a great idea, but I’m not too confident with the lift gate. I would have rather had the double doors.

Total gas consumption while traveling nearly 1000 miles.. We we filled up before we left Maryland costing us $26.75 Once on the road we topped it off before arriving at the camp site $15.25. Then filling it up in western Maryland $24.50 Total cost for Fuel: $66.50 Mind you my wife had figured spending $80.00 for gas and we came in lower than expected which wasn’t too big of a surprise.

Although we use the 87 octane fuel, Around VA where we topped it off before arriving at the camp site, an ordnance was in place which doesn’t allow the sale of higher octane fuels. The pumps where locked down with big warning signs all around the station.

This reminded us of when we went to Kentucky and back then sever stations had closed because of either power outages or fuel shortages. Our small towns are wasting away. Yet we (my wife and I) will always seek out theses small towns just so we can check out our heritage.

This one small town coming home yesterday, I can’t recall the name, had a bagpipe ceremony going on with only a handful of people and 4 WWII veterans in wheel chairs watching. Just like the Civil War park we stopped at.. that place should have been packed, but no one was there.

Are we forgetting our counties past?.. I just see these historical places and events drying up because the younger set, just don’t care about what happen in the past. If you haven’t been to these places or taking part in a small town parade, it might be a good time to do so.. Stop your computer world and get involved with our past.. Your past.. or it’s going to be lost forever.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.