Van for conversion- choices

Home Forum topic Buying or selling a camper van Van for conversion- choices

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    GeeBee R3
    Participant

I’m currently saving for my fist campervan in many years- I once owned a 1962 split screen VW, but sold it before they were trendy. D’oh!

These days I’m thinking a bit bigger. I have been told that it is better to have a van under 8m in length, as that is the limit for many sites. Is this true? Also, I can only drive up to 7.5 tonnes on my licence.

Now then, given my profession I know to avoid anything French, and also know that the VW Crafter and it’s Mercedes sibling have reliability issues, so will be avoiding those. I keep finding myself considering the Iveco Daily range in either 5 tonne or 6.5 tonne guise.

Of particular interest to me has been the Iveco 65C15 Iris Mellor welfare bus. It’s right at the top of my budget, but seems to be particularly suitable for conversion, having a flat floor, diesel night heater, 12v lighting, full insulation and seat belted seats which could be arranged with a table between four of them, thus saving the cost of a rock ‘n’ roll bed.

Are there any other (preferably cheaper) options that any of you have experience with? A mobile library also seems a good option for me, but again they can be very pricey.

Do any of you want to share your experiences of larger van ownership?

Darren

Hi
    Hi

I haven’t owned any of those vehicles, but have always been interested in doing a conversion of one.
    The Iveco 65C15 Iris Mellor welfare bus is a great vehicle. I have always found the Mercedes Vario tempting also. There are many used examples around.

Do let us know how you get along.

Darren

Hi
    Hi

I haven’t owned any of those vehicles, but have always been interested in doing a conversion of one.
    The Iveco 65C15 Iris Mellor welfare bus is a great vehicle. I have always found the Mercedes Vario tempting also. There are many used examples around.

Do let us know how you get along.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.