Two Weeks in France with Wife and Kids

Home Forum topic Camping Two Weeks in France with Wife and Kids

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    simonyeo
    Participant

Hello All

We are taking a campervan trip to France in July/August for 2 weeks. The only thing booked so far is the cross channel ferry to Dunkirk.

I’ll be travelling with my wife (7-8 months pregnant by then) and 2 children 3 and 6yrs. We are all more than happy with the outdoors life and are looking forward to a laid back adventure without planning too much. Although I am well aware that a few plans make the whole trip alot more enjoyable.
    Confession: We don’t own a split-screen VW – we’re borrowing the mother-in-law’s FIAT (fix it again toni?!)

One objective is to make it to Lake Annecy for 3 or 4 nights before making the journey back.

I’d love people’s suggestions on the following:

1. Chilled out campsites en-route to Annecy from Dunkirk taking in the Champagne region and Loire valley.

2. Any advice/tips on these farms and vineyards I’ve heard about that offer free overnight parking in return for buying their wares.

3. Places where you can park for free.

4. Spacious quietish campsites on Lake Annecy – do we need to book.

5. Any not too commercial fun activities/location for kids (and dads) like swimming in rivers/lakes, horse riding, canals, boat trips, cycling (we are taking bikes).

6. General tips for campervanning with kids (they are very used to tent camping). My wife and I spent 6 months camping around NZ and Australia before #1 came along.

7. Do we need to book for the time of year we’re going (21st July until 3rd August)?

8. How well will my beer stay cold in the on-board fridge?

Thanks in advance – Simon

Darren
    Keymaster

Hi Simon
    Sounds like a great

Hi Simon

Sounds like a great trip.
    I can help you with a few of your questions

3. Do you know about the French Aires? They are places designated for campervans and motorhomes to park and stay overnight. Some a just car parks, some have water and electricity, but will cost up to €10 per night in summer.

7. You are going at the busiest time of year in France. To stay at your choice of campsite you do need to book. If you are happy to stay at any campsite then you will be able to find spaces, but it might take a bit of driving around.

8. Pretty well. I assume it is a gas 3-way fridge? Keep the door shut as much as possible, i,e, don’t stare into the fridge when working out what to have for dinner, and it will be nice and cold.

Darren
    Keymaster

Hi Simon
    Sounds like a great

Hi Simon

3. Do you know about the French Aires? They are places designated for campervans and motorhomes to park and stay overnight. Some a just car parks, some have water and electricity, but will cost up to €10 per night in summer.

7. You are going at the busiest time of year in France. To stay at your choice of campsite you do need to book. If you are happy to stay at any campsite then you will be able to find spaces, but it might take a bit of driving around.

8. Pretty well. I assume it is a gas 3-way fridge? Keep the door shut as much as possible, i,e, don’t stare into the fridge when working out what to have for dinner, and it will be nice and cold.

Darren
    Keymaster

Hi Simon
    Sounds like a great

Hi Simon

Darren
    Keymaster

Hi Simon
    Sounds like a great

Hi Simon

simonyeo
    Participant

tips
    Cheers Darren – top tips.

simonyeo
    Participant

tips

simonyeo
    Participant

tips

simonyeo
    Participant

tips

mgroadster
    Participant

You need the “Bible”.
    Buy a

You need the “Bible”.
    Buy a copy of the “Michelin guide to camping & caravanning in France”.
    It’s not a soppy caravan club bit of nonsense, but lists virtually EVERY site in France from the “aire naturelle” sites (very cheap & basic, but many in beautiful spots.
    “Municipales” Local authority sites cheap and the facilities are normally excellent, then the top end sites.
    I don’t travel through France without this book, and when you feel like pulling up for the night, you just look up the nearest site to where you are. You can get em off Ebay.
    Last years or the year befores will be ok.IT’S ESSENTIAL!

mgroadster
    Participant

You need the “Bible”.
    Buy a

You need the “Bible”.
    It’s not a soppy caravan club bit of nonsense, but lists virtually EVERY site in France from the “aire naturelle” sites (very cheap & basic, but many in beautiful spots.
    “Municipales” Local authority sites cheap and the facilities are normally excellent, then the top end sites.
    I don’t travel through France without this book, and when you feel like pulling up for the night, you just look up the nearest site to where you are. You can get em off Ebay.

mgroadster
    Participant

You need the “Bible”.
    Buy a

You need the “Bible”.

mgroadster
    Participant

You need the “Bible”.
    Buy a

You need the “Bible”.

simonyeo
    Participant

nice one – salut.
    nice one – salut.

simonyeo
    Participant

nice one – salut.
    nice one – salut.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.