To camp or not to camp

Home Forum topic Introduce Yourself To camp or not to camp

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 67 total)
  • Author
    zoborg
    Participant

Hello folks!

I’m looking for a little bit of advice on whether to take the plunge and buy a campervan and if so what should I do?

To give a bit of background, I have a young family two boys (aged 2 and 4 in May) and a dog, obviously since having the kids and the dog rather limits what we can do to generally local things. Not that we can afford it but staying in B&B’s is too expensive, we love camping but it always takes a lot of planning to go, long time to setup (and kids so young hard to keep them entertained whilst setting up taking down) and the dog doesnt fit with the camping gear… So not wanting the spend the next 10 years confined to a yearly holiday my friend who also was thinking of getting a camper van planted the idea maybe this could be for us?

So was wondering if some experienced campers would be able to share their experience of camping vanning (ideally with kids and or animals?) sort of places to go (we live in Brighton, would probably at least initially not want to travel too far, any change of scenery is better than just sitting watching the box whilst the kids sleep)?

And assuming it is a great idea and would allow us to live a more fun weekend, what sort of van would someone like myself look for (I know NOTHING about them) – I would probably have a budget of 5k maybe a little more at a push! I’m not exactly the greatest mechanic in the world so would prefer to not have to do much work on them – do you think with that sort of budget I would even be able to enter the car vanning world? bear in mind would need to sleep 2 adults, 2 kids and a dog somewhere (she is a small collie).

Thanks so much to anyone answering to this post!

Regards

mgroadster
    Participant

Personally, I think your
    Personally, I think your budget is fine, PROVIDING You buy a panel van and convert yourself.(more fun)Transit/Sprinter. Ready built campers can be expensive and 5k wouldn’t buy much reliable but certainly will buy a good van for conversion + fitting out.
    My Brother used to take his wife and 3 kids in one of those flamin air cooled VW things with no room to swing a cat in all the way to Spain most years, so it can be done.
    Reasonable panel van (high top for standing up in)(LWB for room) say 3to 3.5k for van and remainder to fit out. 150 quid for a used drive away awning and there you have it…great hols anytime you want with plenty of room for dog and kids.ENJOY!

mgroadster
    Participant

Personally, I think your
    Personally, I think your budget is fine, PROVIDING You buy a panel van and convert yourself.(more fun)Transit/Sprinter. Ready built campers can be expensive and 5k wouldn’t buy much reliable but certainly will buy a good van for conversion + fitting out.
    My Brother used to take his wife and 3 kids in one of those flamin air cooled VW things with no room to swing a cat in all the way to Spain most years, so it can be done.
    Reasonable panel van (high top for standing up in)(LWB for room) say 3to 3.5k for van and remainder to fit out. 150 quid for a used drive away awning and there you have it…great hols anytime you want with plenty of room for dog and kids.ENJOY!

mgroadster
    Participant

Personally, I think your

mgroadster
    Participant

Personally, I think your

mgroadster
    Participant

Personally, I think your

mgroadster
    Participant

Personally, I think your

zoborg
    Participant

Thanks for the reply – when
    Thanks for the reply – when you say convert yourself do you literally mean yourself? or pay someone to do it? I’m pretty time poor as well as not particularly technically minded so doing it myself seems a little scary and risky?

zoborg
    Participant

Thanks for the reply – when you say convert yourself do you literally mean yourself? or pay someone to do it? I’m pretty time poor as well as not particularly technically minded so doing it myself seems a little scary and risky?

zoborg
    Participant

zoborg
    Participant

zoborg
    Participant

zoborg
    Participant

mgroadster
    Participant

Let me tell you that I am a
    Let me tell you that I am a complete muppet when it comes to practicle work…However, I penciled in the design(at the time I had a plain transit high top/LWB panel van). I then got some tools, bought the timber and other crucial bits from boot sales etc. etc.
    As I got more confident, I bought the bonded windows and fitted them myself + the roof vent etc.
    You can do it if you want, just take your time and NO don’t pay someone else to do it…You’ll end up potless. Go on give it a try, If I can do it….anyone can.

mgroadster
    Participant

Let me tell you that I am a
    Let me tell you that I am a complete muppet when it comes to practicle work…However, I penciled in the design(at the time I had a plain transit high top/LWB panel van). I then got some tools, bought the timber and other crucial bits from boot sales etc. etc.
    As I got more confident, I bought the bonded windows and fitted them myself + the roof vent etc.
    You can do it if you want, just take your time and NO don’t pay someone else to do it…You’ll end up potless. Go on give it a try, If I can do it….anyone can.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 67 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.