The Trip of a Lifetime

Home Forum topic Camping The Trip of a Lifetime

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    speekup
    Participant

Hello all, This August my Girlfriend and myself are heading to Europe for a year long adventure. We plan on buying a campervan when we arrive ( budget $3-$5 thousand euros )
    We also plan on flying our pet Akita over once we find the right van.

I hope to get a little advice from all the experienced campers out there. Firstly in regards to specific dealers of secondhand vans in europe?.
    I understand there are alot of good deals on ebay – however i cant seem to locate many dealers.

The mercedes 300 – 500 series look like a great choice. we plan on living in the van for the year – toilet would be essential – do you agree?

any further info you guys can provide will be so helpfull – see you in EUROPE!

Regards Shannon, Ashleigh Maia and tama.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
  1. cruise america
    has anybody had problems with this company hope to go to canada and usa next year

2. Islington market still operating?
    Hello,
    Just wondering if anyone knows if the Islington market for campervans is still operating? Have googled it but can only find old references…. if anyone has info about what day and time it runs it’d be much appreciated!

1. did you find out if the
      did you find out if the market was still going, if so when abouts?
      x

3. toilet?
    when we go on coastal trips we hire one which do not have tolet, you can use resort/beach facilities and ssave huge amount for not having the toilet

4. Gumtree.com is also a great
    Gumtree.com is also a great place to look for campervans, particularly this time of the year when a lot of the aussies and kiwis are flying back home. We’ve just bought a lovely one, but there was loads of choice, and it’s a buyers market at this time of year

5. I think there’s a road in
    I think there’s a road in London where Aussies and Kiwis recycle their vans – or so we were told my those we met during our trips. Caledonian Road? Not sure…
    Maybe only recommended to do this if you actually know something about car mechanics though!

Also, it’s not just remote places you need your own ‘loo’ for – many sites leave much to be desired in the hygiene of their ‘facilities’ 🙁

1. There’s an unofficial street
      There’s an unofficial street market for used VW Campers in London every Saturday or Sunday morning. It is in Market Road, Islington, beside the astroturf pitches. Visiting Aussies and Kiwis who are about to return home bring along their vans and flog them to the newly-arrived ones embarking on their grand tour of Europe.

1. That’s the one!
        We met several people who’d bought their vehicles there, but buyer beware!

1. thankyou guys , so much for
          thankyou guys , so much for the info – getting close now!!!! peace to all

6. Toilet is recommended if you
    Toilet is recommended if you intend to stay in remote areas.

Used vehicles are cheaper in the UK and France than Spain and Portugal.
    There are lots of great used vehicles on eBay, but dealers are best found by looking around once you are here.

Where are you guys from? If Australia or NZ then you might want to get the vehicle in the UK for language and for a right-hand-drive vehicle.

If you’re from the USA or Canada i’m guessing you’ll want a left-hand-drive van, so maybe Germany is the best place to buy one.

7. Definitely get one with a
    Definitely get one with a toilet!

When you go to Rome, don’t stay on the Seven Hills site. We spoke to several people who had stuff stolen from them there and one couple even had their van stolen!
    Stay on the Campeggio Roma , via Aurelia. A bus into the city outside and opposite is a good supermarket!
    In Florence, the best one is Campeggio Michelangelo – just a walk into the city.

If you want a taste of touring Europe in a van, I have a book posted here
    http://www.authonomy.com/ViewBook.aspx?bookid=1025

It’s free to read at the moment, but I’m hoping to get it published soon!
    If you want any more info, I’d be pleased to help.