the max weight a Ford autosleeper pull out bedshelf will bear

Home Forum topic Vehicle maintenance, suggestions and ideas the max weight a Ford autosleeper pull out bedshelf will bear

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    conwaytwittys
    Participant

Hello folks, we’re new…

We’ve been vanning all of last summer in a Ford Autosleeper 2+2 berth. Our six year old sleeps on ‘the shelf'( 4 hardboard panels which pull out)

I took my dad away in the van and I slept on the shelf. I spent 3 nights worrying that I was going to crush him in the night due to the shelf collapsing. Can anyone advise me of the maximum weight the shelf will bear. I’m 10 stone.

I’ve searched the net and can’t find it anywhere.

thanks Rach

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
  1. Cheers Darren , i will get
    Cheers Darren , i will get some photos for you to assess, i think it probrably is plywood of about 2-2.5 cm thickness, but there is no middle support.

I had suggested to my dad that we both sleep on the double bed, but he said he’d rather be crushed in his sleep….

really appreciate your response

all the best Rach

2. Hi Rach
    It’s hard to say

Hi Rach

It’s hard to say without seeing it. You’ll need to judge for yourself whether it’s strong enough.
    Hardboard doesn’t really sounds strong enough. You could always replace the hardboard with plywood. You can choose the thickness of plywood to suit your needs. 9 or 12 mm plywood would probably be sufficient to support an adult, if the bed is supported in the middle. If there is no middle support in the middle then you’ll probably want 18mm plywood. But as you have hardboard at the moment, 9 or 12 mm plywood would probably be OK.

If you post some photos here it would help.

3. max weight
    Hi Darren, thanks a million for replying,

the shelf is part of the original fit by autosleeper, but it is not fixed, it is comprised of four pieces of hardboard which slide out and fit together to make a two berth sleeping area.

Cheers Rach

4. Is the shelf part of the
    Is the shelf part of the campervan, or have you added it?