Tenerife this winter

Home Forum topic Camping Tenerife this winter

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    mytravelphotoblog
    Participant

Hi, has anyone taken their campervan on a ferry crossing to Tenerife from Spain?

If so where did you cross from? and what’s Tenerife like for wild/free camping?

Cadiz and Huelva are the main terminals in Spain. I have done a little research and from Cadiz is around 60 hours and at a cost of £1500 with a cabin!!!! I have tried looking at crossings from Morocco, will need to phone for estimate.

Just wondered if anyone has done this, as I am thinking of having about 3 months in Tenerife, before returning to travel Europe next year.

Martin

mgroadster
    Participant

Unless you need to
    Unless you need to desperately go to Tenerife, you could consider Corsica or Sardinia as a winter-over. You can get ferries from The sth of France for Corsica or just pop down to Livorno for sardinia.(I’m going to Sardinia this summer with my camper and it’s a fraction of 1500 quid return.
    Otherwise, you’d be best getting a cheap flight to Tenerife and finding an appartment.

mgroadster
    Participant

Unless you need to
    Unless you need to desperately go to Tenerife, you could consider Corsica or Sardinia as a winter-over. You can get ferries from The sth of France for Corsica or just pop down to Livorno for sardinia.(I’m going to Sardinia this summer with my camper and it’s a fraction of 1500 quid return.
    Otherwise, you’d be best getting a cheap flight to Tenerife and finding an appartment.

mgroadster
    Participant

Unless you need to

Darren
    Keymaster

I met someone who wild camped
    I met someone who wild camped in Tenerife. I have been to Gran Canaria (not in a van) and would say those islands are pretty good for wild camping.

I remember reading that a ferry crossing from Morocco was much cheaper, so good if you fancy a trip though Morocco.

Darren
    Keymaster

I met someone who wild camped in Tenerife. I have been to Gran Canaria (not in a van) and would say those islands are pretty good for wild camping.

I remember reading that a ferry crossing from Morocco was much cheaper, so good if you fancy a trip though Morocco.

Darren
    Keymaster

Lynx
    Participant

great place!
    Hi,

4 years ago I took my old 407 mercedes camper to tenerife on the ferry that leaves from Cadiz, the trip was long but very nice, as you say you have a cabin to sleep in and the food is not great but it is also included in the ticket… I don’t know where you checked your tickets but I think you can pay much less, around 900 euros return ticket, including a camper and a passenger! For what I know there are no ferries to cross over from Morroco, the boats on that route don’t take passengers or vehicles, I really looked into that because I wanted to go back through there and it was imposible. Another option is to drive to barcelona and send the vehicle from there, it takes a few days but when I return from Tenerife I sent the camper to barcelona and flew back and this didn’t cost me much, I can’t remenber exactly how much but not much.
    About wild camping there, it really depends where you park, in some areas the more isolated ones, you won’t have problem but in Las Americas, in the south, you can get fined. If you drive around I am sure you’ll find the right place to stay. Do be careful to keep valuables safe, unfortunatly the canary islands are suffering the crisis deeply so there’s lots of people stuggling and breaking into vehicles.
    I stayed there for over a year and loved it. There is a beach called El puertito de adeje it in the south, I really recomend you to go there and have a dive since there are around 5 sea turtles which are always there. I remenber swimming there with my son and the turtles on of the most beautiful experiences of my life!

good travels!!!

Lynx
    Participant

great place!
    Hi,

4 years ago I took my old 407 mercedes camper to tenerife on the ferry that leaves from Cadiz, the trip was long but very nice, as you say you have a cabin to sleep in and the food is not great but it is also included in the ticket… I don’t know where you checked your tickets but I think you can pay much less, around 900 euros return ticket, including a camper and a passenger! For what I know there are no ferries to cross over from Morroco, the boats on that route don’t take passengers or vehicles, I really looked into that because I wanted to go back through there and it was imposible. Another option is to drive to barcelona and send the vehicle from there, it takes a few days but when I return from Tenerife I sent the camper to barcelona and flew back and this didn’t cost me much, I can’t remenber exactly how much but not much.
    About wild camping there, it really depends where you park, in some areas the more isolated ones, you won’t have problem but in Las Americas, in the south, you can get fined. If you drive around I am sure you’ll find the right place to stay. Do be careful to keep valuables safe, unfortunatly the canary islands are suffering the crisis deeply so there’s lots of people stuggling and breaking into vehicles.
    I stayed there for over a year and loved it. There is a beach called El puertito de adeje it in the south, I really recomend you to go there and have a dive since there are around 5 sea turtles which are always there. I remenber swimming there with my son and the turtles on of the most beautiful experiences of my life!

good travels!!!

Lynx
    Participant

great place!
    Hi,

good travels!!!

Darren
    Keymaster

Great info, thanks Lynx
    Great info, thanks Lynx

Darren
    Keymaster

Great info, thanks Lynx
    Great info, thanks Lynx

Darren
    Keymaster

Great info, thanks Lynx
    Great info, thanks Lynx

mham05
    Participant

great idea.
    Hi Martin good to hear from you again, this is Austin from AD CYCLE repairs Bristol.
    I have done a conversion also allowing me to use my van for work and play during the quiet seasons. I think the idea is great especially with our jobs its seasonal so why not Go someplace warmer?
    Good luck with the conversion and the trip hope all goes well.
    By the way cycle tech looks great.

mham05
    Participant

great idea.
    Hi Martin good to hear from you again, this is Austin from AD CYCLE repairs Bristol.
    I have done a conversion also allowing me to use my van for work and play during the quiet seasons. I think the idea is great especially with our jobs its seasonal so why not Go someplace warmer?
    Good luck with the conversion and the trip hope all goes well.
    By the way cycle tech looks great.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.