Taking the plunge

Home Forum topic Introduce Yourself Taking the plunge

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Andy83
    Participant

Hello all, I’m after any advice and words of wisdom that anyone can offer. My wife and I have decided that we are going to give up our jobs, sell our house, buy a campervan and go travelling around Europe for the next year with our 20 month old daughter. We’re pretty much at the very start of the whole process and don’t have any firm plans or ideas regarding the whole process. We are thinking about buying a general work van and converting it into a camper so that it meets our requirements but we realise that this can be very expensive. I think ultimately what I’m asking for is advice on anything to do with campervanning i.e van type, layouts, equipment (what should we take?) and just any info from people that have done anything similar. Any advice would be great. Thanks!

Darren

Hi Andy
    Hi Andy

A few bits of advice.

Rent out your house rather than selling it.
    Converting a van takes a huge amount of time and money. Whilst I enjoyed the processing of building my own campervan, I would have been better off spending the conversion time working and buying a professional conversion vehicle. Professional conversions retain their value much better.
    If you want the challenge then go for the conversion.
    I always recommend getting the biggest vehicle you can like with, i.e. drive and park at home. Space when touring is important, especially with children.

Darren

Hi Andy
    Hi Andy

A few bits of advice.

Rent out your house rather than selling it.
    Converting a van takes a huge amount of time and money. Whilst I enjoyed the processing of building my own campervan, I would have been better off spending the conversion time working and buying a professional conversion vehicle. Professional conversions retain their value much better.
    If you want the challenge then go for the conversion.
    I always recommend getting the biggest vehicle you can like with, i.e. drive and park at home. Space when touring is important, especially with children.

Andy83
    Participant

Cheers mate
    Cheers mate

The reason we were thinking of selling is to release the money to buy the van and pay for someone to carry out the work. I really won’t have the time myself to do the work as I’ll be working up until christmas and we were planning to go soon afterwards. I do feel however that I could save an awful lot of money doing the work myself as the professional conversions seem massively expensive.

We’d need to remortgage to release some equity if we wanted to get someone in to rent our house and then we’d also have the hassle of sorting tennants or getting a management company involved. The reason we’re planning the sabbatical in the first place is to try and de-stress! Ha ha

There is definitely a lot to think about, thanks for your reply mate!

Andy83
    Participant

Cheers mate
    Cheers mate

The reason we were thinking of selling is to release the money to buy the van and pay for someone to carry out the work. I really won’t have the time myself to do the work as I’ll be working up until christmas and we were planning to go soon afterwards. I do feel however that I could save an awful lot of money doing the work myself as the professional conversions seem massively expensive.

We’d need to remortgage to release some equity if we wanted to get someone in to rent our house and then we’d also have the hassle of sorting tennants or getting a management company involved. The reason we’re planning the sabbatical in the first place is to try and de-stress! Ha ha

There is definitely a lot to think about, thanks for your reply mate!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.