Starting from scratch! Which model of van do you recommend?

Home Forum topic Campervan Conversions Starting from scratch! Which model of van do you recommend?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Clint
    Participant

I just joined the site, and I have a basic (but important) question. I’m at the very beginning of buying a class B van and converting it into a simple camping and road trip vehicle.

I don’t plan to install kitchenette or shower or anything like that. It will be a passenger van a lot of the time – taking kids to soccer games, etc. When we go on camping trips, we’ll just load gear into the back of the van – including tents & sleeping bags. I plan to have bench seats in back that can fold down to make beds. We’ll use the fold-down seats as beds occasionally, but usually will use tents for camping.

I’m looking for advice on which model of van to start with. I plan to buy a new van, and then have it converted. I am thinking about the long wheelbase, high-roof version of one of these models:
    • Mercedes Sprinter
    • Dodge Promaster
    • Ford Transit
    • Nissan NV (but not sure if they have a long wheelbase model)

I’m not sure if this is the right forum for posting this, but if it is, here are the questions (or advice i’m looking for):

Which of these is best for reliability? I.e. frequency of repairs? Cost of repairs? Ease of finding qualified repair centers?

Do you have any comments on comfort (for driver and passengers)? I want a van that is very comfortable for long road trips.

And, finally, I would appreciate any general comments or recommendations on selection of a new van for a conversion.

Thanks!
    Clint

Darren

Hi Clint
    Hi Clint

Nice to hear from you.
    Are you buying a brand new vehicle?

The Mercedes Sprinter has long been regarded as the most reliable vehicle. It tends to be more expensive.

The Ford Transit has improved greatly in the last decade. It drives really well, perhaps better than the Sprinter.

I suspect they are similar comfort for long trips. My 2002 Sprinter has been very reliable, and never uncomfortable for long trips. I suspect newer vehicles are even better.

I don’t have any knowledge of the other two I’m afraid.

The Sprinter and Transit and not the widest vans. Keep that in mind. I am guessing you are in the USA or Canada?
    The Dodge could be wider, which helps.

Darren

Hi Clint
    Hi Clint

Nice to hear from you.
    Are you buying a brand new vehicle?

The Mercedes Sprinter has long been regarded as the most reliable vehicle. It tends to be more expensive.

The Ford Transit has improved greatly in the last decade. It drives really well, perhaps better than the Sprinter.

I suspect they are similar comfort for long trips. My 2002 Sprinter has been very reliable, and never uncomfortable for long trips. I suspect newer vehicles are even better.

I don’t have any knowledge of the other two I’m afraid.

The Sprinter and Transit and not the widest vans. Keep that in mind. I am guessing you are in the USA or Canada?
    The Dodge could be wider, which helps.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.