Split relay or not split relay

Home Forum topic Campervan Conversions Split relay or not split relay

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    T2_Millie
    Participant

Hiya,

I think I’ve managed to confuse myself so thought I’d just ask everyone to help clear things up. I’ve got a zig unit CF8, which I know aren’t everyone’s cup of tea, I’ve read about getting a split relay that had a sensor with it which will stop the battery’s charging once they are full but I’m fairly sure I’ve read on here that I can’t use one with a zig unit.

Also I’m thinking about getting a fridge for the van but am confused about the electrics I need in place. I intend to have 240v in place but also gonna be running off 12v.

I know there are loads of pots about electrics and I thought reading them would help but think I confused myself a bit more.

Any help would be much appreciated.

ithody
    Participant

Split charge relay query
    Hi Millie,

The purpose of a split charge relay setup is to split the charge that your van alternator generates between your van battery and an additional leisure battery – while the van is running. It has no bearing when you’re stationary and living in the van. There should be no issue with over-charging of your leisure battery through this setup.

Your Zig CF8 unit should be an “intelligent charger” which will only charge your leisure battery (when connected to 240v mains) if it needs it, and avoids any over-charging.

For your fridge 12v setup you’ll need a dedicated 12v connection from your van battery (NOT your leisure battery) through a 12v relay which is only switched ON when your van is running. (This relay is usually controlled by the same signal that switches your split charge relay ON. Typically from your alternator output signal.) This ensures the 12v supply to your fridge is ONLY live when your van is running and continually charging your van battery. And does nothing to de-pleat your leisure battery.

For your fridge 240v setup you’ll need a dedicated 240v mains connection from your 240v hook-up, typically through an RCD-protected consumer unit for safety. As a minimum you should connect through a 5amp fused spur.

Hope this makes sense.

Cheers, Ian

ithody
    Participant

Split charge relay query
    Hi Millie,

The purpose of a split charge relay setup is to split the charge that your van alternator generates between your van battery and an additional leisure battery – while the van is running. It has no bearing when you’re stationary and living in the van. There should be no issue with over-charging of your leisure battery through this setup.

Your Zig CF8 unit should be an “intelligent charger” which will only charge your leisure battery (when connected to 240v mains) if it needs it, and avoids any over-charging.

For your fridge 12v setup you’ll need a dedicated 12v connection from your van battery (NOT your leisure battery) through a 12v relay which is only switched ON when your van is running. (This relay is usually controlled by the same signal that switches your split charge relay ON. Typically from your alternator output signal.) This ensures the 12v supply to your fridge is ONLY live when your van is running and continually charging your van battery. And does nothing to de-pleat your leisure battery.

For your fridge 240v setup you’ll need a dedicated 240v mains connection from your 240v hook-up, typically through an RCD-protected consumer unit for safety. As a minimum you should connect through a 5amp fused spur.

Hope this makes sense.

Cheers, Ian

ithody
    Participant

Split charge relay query
    Hi Millie,

Hope this makes sense.

Cheers, Ian

ithody
    Participant

Split charge relay query
    Hi Millie,

Hope this makes sense.

Cheers, Ian

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.