southwest france

Home Forum topic Camping southwest france

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    harry82scfc
    Participant

Hello everyone,
    Am planning a 3 week trip to southwest France in july/aug.I’ve been looking at campsites and of what i can find on the net am having some trouble with as alot are in french or like a “eurocamp”style site,I’ll be in my t4 camper,were not totally self sufficient so will need to check into a campsite every now and then.Any advice on campsite or any thing at all would be much appreciated,As am having trouble booking places am just going turn up see whats available,Is this a bad idea???

many thanks harry!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
  1. Personally, I never, ever,
    Personally, I never, ever, book camp sites ahead in France. There is a plethora of sites to choose and plenty of room for all.(can be a squeeze in Aug)
    I use the “bible” (Michelin guide to camping/caravanning in France). This lists virtually every site from “Aire naturelle” to “Municipal” to the 3 and 4 star jobbies.
    If I like the look of the site, I’ll pull in, if not go further up the rd.
    Half the fun of having a camper.
    If you book a hotel resort hol. you are committed to staying there whatever, but with a camper, you just choose once arrived in the general area you want to be.

2. Campervan holiday in France
    Looking for advice, in france for a month, end of june to end of july, looking at heading to Aquataine regeion, interested in seeing Dune de Pilet, am travelling with 4, 6,and 14 yr old, wondering a) about weather, b), about dune de pilet campsited, will kids be able to climb dune, will there be anything there for them, personally would spend time between wine and beach, would family be happy in this area, also other issue, older guy would love english speaking kids, any reccommendations re: campsites:

1. Dune de Pilat is
      Dune de Pilat is great.

Weather should be great in July. Clouds sometimes come to that region, but unlikely in July.

Kids should be able to climb the dune. Small ones will have to take their time though.
      Not much there. There is a beach on the other side of the dune, which is OK, not great.
      There are great campsites in the region though with lots to do.
      I stayed at Pyla Camping, which has direct access to the dune, half way up, which will be good for kids. The campsite has amazing views and is pretty good all round. Has pools, shops, etc.
      I stayed before the summer rush though

http://www.pyla-camping.com/gb.html

3. Camping Municipal
    Camping Municipal sites are in nearly every town and village. Low cost mostly, usually clean and tidy, relaxed.

Big sites are ok when you need a few days luxuries like pools, bars, etc.

4. Just returned from 2 weeks
    Just returned from 2 weeks great time in the sw . Try twinlakes, near Blaye great site good atmosphere, lovely welcome.

5. Camping in France
    Checkout the Municipal Campsites. They are all over France, low cost and usually very good basic facilities. Some great spots on the coast and inland.

6. SW France
    There are some cheap camping places in the Landes area of SW France, near the coast. there is a lakeside park in Leon, near to Dax, but a couple of miles from the sea. try postcode 40550 and look for the lake.
    Hope that helps.

7. July and August are the
    July and August are the busiest times in France. You will be able to find places to stay, but you will probably have to try a few campsites before you find one. But there are lots of campsites to choose from.

For peace of mind you could book, but that leaves your choices less flexible when you get there.

1. Thanks for the reply Darren.I
      Thanks for the reply Darren.I managed to book on a site for the first week which gives some time check out and talk to people to get some info on where to head too next,As I don’t want to book on a site for the whole trip so I can move about abit.Not long till I go now can’t wait!!