Sliding door runner painting or renew??

Home Forum topic Campervan Conversions Sliding door runner painting or renew??

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Eeypre18
    Participant

Hi all,

I’ve just started my first conversion, 2004 Renault Trafic, & thought I’d start with the outside cosmetics first. The first being the sliding door runner guide. The paint that was on it when I bought it has started to flake off. It makes the outside look tatty. So I was wondering what is the best way to restore this with something durable enough to withstand the constant use of the sliding door. Not sure how this is achieved from manufacture? Would I be better off restoring or simply buying a new one? Not sure as yet how easy it is to remove.

Any thoughts would be marvellously received.

Cheers.

Eeypre18
    Participant

Pic of said van
    Just thought I would try uploading a pic of the lovely thing.

Eeypre18
    Participant

Pic of said van

Eeypre18
    Participant

Pic of said van

Darren
    Keymaster

Hmm, I don’t know of a paint
    Hmm, I don’t know of a paint strong enough to withstand a sliding door runner. Is the paint flaking off where the mechanism runs inside the runner?

Darren
    Keymaster

Hmm, I don’t know of a paint strong enough to withstand a sliding door runner. Is the paint flaking off where the mechanism runs inside the runner?

Darren
    Keymaster

mgroadster
    Participant

The runner of my door slider
    The runner of my door slider is rusted where all the paint has worn off, other than that it doesn’t look too bad. I have greased the runner to prevent any further erosion and allow free running of the door.

mgroadster
    Participant

The runner of my door slider is rusted where all the paint has worn off, other than that it doesn’t look too bad. I have greased the runner to prevent any further erosion and allow free running of the door.

mgroadster
    Participant

Eeypre18
    Participant

On further inspection……
    On further inspection it is flaking on the outside of the runner only. So there is no contact from the mechanism of the door. I guess it’s just a case of some decent cosmetics for it. I was thinking of rubbing back the affected area and putting on a suitable paint covering. Not really sure if Hammerite will look good or not. If anyone has any ideas for a suitable paint type substance now I have actually given some decent detail, It would be massively appreciated.

Roadster, do you have a pic of yours? & are you planning on treatingthe runnert to some TLC? I have greased the inner part also so it’s just the outer I want to clean up.

Eeypre18
    Participant

On further inspection……
    On further inspection it is flaking on the outside of the runner only. So there is no contact from the mechanism of the door. I guess it’s just a case of some decent cosmetics for it. I was thinking of rubbing back the affected area and putting on a suitable paint covering. Not really sure if Hammerite will look good or not. If anyone has any ideas for a suitable paint type substance now I have actually given some decent detail, It would be massively appreciated.

Roadster, do you have a pic of yours? & are you planning on treatingthe runnert to some TLC? I have greased the inner part also so it’s just the outer I want to clean up.

Eeypre18
    Participant

On further inspection……

Darren
    Keymaster

I think hammerite would be
    I think hammerite would be good. Matt finish would probably be best.

Darren
    Keymaster

I think hammerite would be
    I think hammerite would be good. Matt finish would probably be best.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.