Purchasing a camper outside country of residence

Home Forum topic Buying or selling a camper van Purchasing a camper outside country of residence

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Darren 2 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
  • #154618


    Hi everyone,

    Just starting my research journey as it’s going to be a couple of years before my husband retires. Here’s a tricky question. I will try and be as precise as possible..

    I am a Canadian woman currently living in the UK. I am in the process of applying for Maltese citizenship and should have my Maltese passport within the year. When we retire (and go fulltime camping) we will both have Matlese status.

    We will use Malta as our home base for obvious reasons. The thing is, I’ve been looking for campervans, rvs etc on Maltese classifides and there arent many at all. Malta is NOT a country that is big on camping. I think that when we purchase a camper we’d be more likely to find a decent one in say, Spain.

    Here’s my question:

    If I purchase a vehicle in a country OTHER then Malta how do I go about registering it IN Malta? Do I have to fly back to Malta or ship the vehicle or…or what?

    Also, could I just set up residency in Spain (or wherever) and register the vehicle there?

    I’m happy with any and all advice !

    Thanks a bunch!




    This is complicated and I think you need to contact the authorities in both Malta and Spain to clarify the situation.
    In the UK, if you want to register a vehicle it needs to be bought into the country to have a MOT roadworthiness test.
    I suspect Malta and Spain are the same.
    Try these searches which should help:



Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.