Preparation and Insulation

Home Forum topic Vehicle maintenance, suggestions and ideas Preparation and Insulation

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    vanlurker
    Participant

Hello!

Just got myself cargo-van. Been searching and reading up on build topics, but I’m overwhelmed by all the information and thought I would post another one of this newbie threads, sorry for that; but this is not really my area of expertise, and I have the bad habit of not being able to start something if I don’t feel 100% about a topic (which I love traveling, because then I dont give a F, but that’s another topic).

I would like to be “ready” to use the van in most climates.

Rustpainting/proofing (Hammerite): Got a few rustpatches on the inner cargo-floor and was thinking about doing a full coat on the floor. Other then the money, any reason why I should not paint a layer? What about the walls and roof?

Insulation: Would it be correct to put Reflectix directly on the cargo wall, an airbarrier and rigid foam? Then simply attach woodpaneling to woodstuds? Pro/Cons using plywood/OSB in between? Other than the top beams, I was thinking about spraying the hollows with foam. Anything in particular which differentiate when insulating floor/walls/roof?

If one would skip the Reflectix, is it OK to just fit and glue the foam pieces directly to steel walls (+tape)? or should one use a vaporbarrier, and such? The floor is for example “wavey” and not flat.

Ventilation: Is it necessary to have a fan in the roofvent? Most of the times I’ll able have the doors open when cooking food etc. There’s already a “venting hole” in the bottom corner of the floor, might as well keep it there, eh?

Thanks for reading, and sorry for the repost. Cheers!

Darren

Hi
    Hi

I would just pain the rust areas with Hammerite, to save time and money.

Your installation ideas are all good. A plywood layer between will also help. Plywood is always the recommended sheet wood, as it is so forgiving in condensation and van scenarios.
    Treat walls and floors the same really.

It’s fine to attach foam directly to the walls. You’ll need to glue them though, as tape wont be enough.
    For the floor, you need to make a timber frame, with space about 1 or 2 feet wide. Then fill the spaces with installation. Then add a plywood sheet to the top to make the floor.

You don’t need a fan in the roof vent, although it does help. Yes, keep the venting hole.

Darren

Hi
    Hi

I would just pain the rust areas with Hammerite, to save time and money.

Your installation ideas are all good. A plywood layer between will also help. Plywood is always the recommended sheet wood, as it is so forgiving in condensation and van scenarios.
    Treat walls and floors the same really.

It’s fine to attach foam directly to the walls. You’ll need to glue them though, as tape wont be enough.
    For the floor, you need to make a timber frame, with space about 1 or 2 feet wide. Then fill the spaces with installation. Then add a plywood sheet to the top to make the floor.

You don’t need a fan in the roof vent, although it does help. Yes, keep the venting hole.

vanlurker
    Participant

Hello Darren, and thanks for
    Hello Darren, and thanks for your answer. I’ve been looking through the forums, and I’m glad you’re still around helping out and adding to the discussions. Thanks for that! I’ll try to stick around as well, and be as helpful as I can once I get some experience.

Thanks for your feedback and suggestions, I’ll go ahead this weekend and start building.

Cheers!

vanlurker
    Participant

Hello Darren, and thanks for
    Hello Darren, and thanks for your answer. I’ve been looking through the forums, and I’m glad you’re still around helping out and adding to the discussions. Thanks for that! I’ll try to stick around as well, and be as helpful as I can once I get some experience.

Thanks for your feedback and suggestions, I’ll go ahead this weekend and start building.

Cheers!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.