Plywood fitting

Home Forum topic Campervan Conversions Plywood fitting

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    mactheknife
    Participant

Hey guys, i am slowly getting there with the conversion, so far i the insulation is fitted and ply for the sides and floor should be here next week. I have a question regarding fixings for fitting plywood to the roof.

I have already made a cardboard template for the outline. But what fixings do people use to secure the ply.
    For the sides i was thinking self drillers into the struts but as the roof ply may have to on and off a few times to get the light wiring and other jobs done i am a bit unsure. I was thinking of securing a few batons across with sikaflex but doubts are there currently.

All advice very welcome and appreciated.

Darren

Hi
    Hi

Most people secure batons with Sikaflex, and then screw into this with wood screws.
    If the van roof also has metal struts it’s worth adding a few self tapping screws into this as well, just for extra support.
    Most people us 6mm ply for the ceiling. You can use 9mm, but it’s heavier, but you can hang more from it if you need to.

Darren

Hi
    Hi

Most people secure batons with Sikaflex, and then screw into this with wood screws.
    If the van roof also has metal struts it’s worth adding a few self tapping screws into this as well, just for extra support.
    Most people us 6mm ply for the ceiling. You can use 9mm, but it’s heavier, but you can hang more from it if you need to.

Anonymous

Excellent. Cheers Darren 🙂

Anonymous

spacehopper
    Participant

rivenuts
    So I have to fit rivenuts to the van for the awning brackets and wondered – why not use them (rivenuts) with some round head bolts to fix the plywood? Longer work but maybe useful if I need to remove and replace the ply.

spacehopper
    Participant

rivenuts
    So I have to fit rivenuts to the van for the awning brackets and wondered – why not use them (rivenuts) with some round head bolts to fix the plywood? Longer work but maybe useful if I need to remove and replace the ply.

mactheknife
    Participant

Hey spacehopper, I have
    Hey spacehopper, I have looked at rivenuts online and they look like a good solution. do you fit these with sealant to secure them?

mactheknife
    Participant

Hey spacehopper, I have
    Hey spacehopper, I have looked at rivenuts online and they look like a good solution. do you fit these with sealant to secure them?

spacehopper
    Participant

sealant not always needed
    the rivenut will form it’s own seal.

inside the van I wouldn’t see any issues as long as you use enough rivenuts.

externally, sealant is used as additional bonding and eliminating any possible water traps – as the rivet head will be proud of the surface if you are attaching a bracket, or something else that us flat sided, there will be a gap for water ingress.

I’ve used self tapping inside on the ply up till now so I am very much in the ‘thinking’ stage. I think rivenuts are not ‘necessary’ and quite probably an over-engineered solution..but if you are into MTB you might be inclined to the bombproof solution as well….

I’ll let you know how i get on, it’s gonna be about 3 months before I have to commit one way or another…

All the Best.

spacehopper
    Participant

sealant not always needed
    the rivenut will form it’s own seal.

inside the van I wouldn’t see any issues as long as you use enough rivenuts.

externally, sealant is used as additional bonding and eliminating any possible water traps – as the rivet head will be proud of the surface if you are attaching a bracket, or something else that us flat sided, there will be a gap for water ingress.

I’ve used self tapping inside on the ply up till now so I am very much in the ‘thinking’ stage. I think rivenuts are not ‘necessary’ and quite probably an over-engineered solution..but if you are into MTB you might be inclined to the bombproof solution as well….

I’ll let you know how i get on, it’s gonna be about 3 months before I have to commit one way or another…

All the Best.

spacehopper
    Participant

clarifications
    when i say water ingress – I mean under the bracket/plate – not into the van past the rivenut.

whilst not ‘necessary’ i think they offer advantages if you need to fit/re-fit panels or swing off the fittings 🙂

spacehopper
    Participant

clarifications
    when i say water ingress – I mean under the bracket/plate – not into the van past the rivenut.

whilst not ‘necessary’ i think they offer advantages if you need to fit/re-fit panels or swing off the fittings 🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.