Order of operations help

Home Forum topic Campervan Conversions Order of operations help

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Chanvan
    Participant

Hey There Van Folk!

I just purchased a 2006 Chevy Express 1500 AWD van with the intention of converting it to a full camper setup for etxended living/travel with my girlfriend and have some questions I am hoping folks can provide some help with. I am still in the planning phase, but definitely want to install solar and a kitchen (i.e., a toaster oven, stove, sink and electrothermic cooler). What I am wondering is what the best order of operations is in terms of electric installation/ insulation/ framing/shelving, etc. Is it critical to install all the electrical stuff first, before insulating or building the bed or shelves? I am asking because I would ideally like to do a “minimal” conversion first with just a bed and shelving (and maybe insulation) to make it usable for weekend trips, but I don’t want to screw myself over if I’ll have to rip a bunch of stuff out later to install the solar/ electrical stuff. Any advice as to what the order of conversion steps should be would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

Darren

Hi
    Hi

You can easily add electric wiring after insulation and framing, by using conduit inside the cupboards.
    In fact this is recommended. Burying wiring inside insulation is a bad ideas as the wiring can get hot, and also it is very difficult to replace to add new wiring if it’s buried.

I always recommend. Insulating, boarding, carpeting, framing, electrics and plumbing last.

Darren

Hi
    Hi

You can easily add electric wiring after insulation and framing, by using conduit inside the cupboards.
    In fact this is recommended. Burying wiring inside insulation is a bad ideas as the wiring can get hot, and also it is very difficult to replace to add new wiring if it’s buried.

I always recommend. Insulating, boarding, carpeting, framing, electrics and plumbing last.

Chanvan
    Participant

Awesome! Thanks for the info!

Chanvan
    Participant

Chanvan
    Participant

Hi Darren,
    Hi Darren,

Another question (or two) for you: should I pre-frame for a roof fan before I install insulation and paneling, or should I just deal with cutting it out afterwards? Seems like something that would be best to install early? Any thoughts you have on that would be much appreciated. Also, it would be awesome if you could give me any any feedback on the following insulation method: base layer of DIY Lizardskin, Reflectix and/or denim lining-in-plastic-bags to fill weird holes and spaces (including ridges on floor, window and door sides, etc.), then one-sided reflective jute lining over that, then plywood paneling. My main question is whether you think there would be any benefit in doing a full layer of reflectix under the jute lining so that it kind of makes it a two-sided deal or whether that would be overkill. Would also be interested in any opinions you have on the best flooring- my setup is meant to live in but also to be able to handle getting dirty, etc., as we will be travelling around rock climbing primarily. I am thinking about snap panel flooring or somehting like that but wonder if plywood or rubber matting might be more durable?

Sorry to bombard you with questions. If you can point me to another resource for easy answers to these that would be fine too. In case you can’t tell I’m a full-fledged van newb. Thanks! Chandler

Chanvan
    Participant

Hi Darren,
    Hi Darren,

Another question (or two) for you: should I pre-frame for a roof fan before I install insulation and paneling, or should I just deal with cutting it out afterwards? Seems like something that would be best to install early? Any thoughts you have on that would be much appreciated. Also, it would be awesome if you could give me any any feedback on the following insulation method: base layer of DIY Lizardskin, Reflectix and/or denim lining-in-plastic-bags to fill weird holes and spaces (including ridges on floor, window and door sides, etc.), then one-sided reflective jute lining over that, then plywood paneling. My main question is whether you think there would be any benefit in doing a full layer of reflectix under the jute lining so that it kind of makes it a two-sided deal or whether that would be overkill. Would also be interested in any opinions you have on the best flooring- my setup is meant to live in but also to be able to handle getting dirty, etc., as we will be travelling around rock climbing primarily. I am thinking about snap panel flooring or somehting like that but wonder if plywood or rubber matting might be more durable?

Sorry to bombard you with questions. If you can point me to another resource for easy answers to these that would be fine too. In case you can’t tell I’m a full-fledged van newb. Thanks! Chandler

Darren

Hi Chandler
    Hi Chandler

I would pre-frame the roof fan. It will be easier to fit a good fitting frame before hand.
    For mostly summer use your first suggestion of insulation sounds fine. If you’re intending using the vehicle a lot in winter than go the extra mile with the insulation.

Snap panel flooring is a great material for floors. I also like vinyl flooring as it gives a durable gap free floor that is fairly easy to replace in the future should you need to.
    Plywood as a to surface would collect a lot of dirt I think. Unless you intend to varnish it, then it would seem quite fragile.
    For winter use, or when you are coming back with dirty shoes, then rubber matt sounds like a great idea. But something you can lift up and clean outside. In summer you’ll want an smooth easy to clear surface like the panel or vinyl.

Darren

Hi Chandler
    Hi Chandler

I would pre-frame the roof fan. It will be easier to fit a good fitting frame before hand.
    For mostly summer use your first suggestion of insulation sounds fine. If you’re intending using the vehicle a lot in winter than go the extra mile with the insulation.

Snap panel flooring is a great material for floors. I also like vinyl flooring as it gives a durable gap free floor that is fairly easy to replace in the future should you need to.
    Plywood as a to surface would collect a lot of dirt I think. Unless you intend to varnish it, then it would seem quite fragile.
    For winter use, or when you are coming back with dirty shoes, then rubber matt sounds like a great idea. But something you can lift up and clean outside. In summer you’ll want an smooth easy to clear surface like the panel or vinyl.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.