Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Steverelay
    Participant

Hi there, I’m Steve, I just found the site while looking at campervan ideas.

I have a 2004 medium wheelbase Citroen Relay panel van that I bought last year, mainly for moving motorbikes around. A few weeks ago I bought a new bike from near Salisbury, I ended up taking taking a detour and took my girlfriend to see Stonehenge, we sat in the van with the side door open having a bit of a picnic overlooking stonehenge. We enjoyed it and got talking about how it would be nice to have a camper van.

So I am trying to work out a plan, to turn the van into semi-camper, but it must be able to be quickly made ready to move motorbikes again. I am thinking, carpet it out, add a couple of windows, basic electrics, some kind of removable bed. Possibly a basic cooker, we have a twin gas ring mini hob that could be put into a homemade cabinet base. Nothing fancy or complicated, just a basic van we can tour around it, stop and cook food or have a bbq then get a good nights sleep.

Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Darren

Hi Steve
    Hi Steve

This sounds like a great idea.
    I would do it this way

1. Make a kitchen unit, 2 cupboards underneath, sink and cooker on top. The whole thing can be removed from the van, for more room in the van when required. When re-fitted to the van can be secured to the walls whole with catches or even some screws. Gas bottle and fresh water cans can live in the cupboards. Waste water can drain with a pipe straight to the outside, or even just recess a washing up bowl in the counter top rather than a sink, then throw the water outside. Saves waste plumbing.

2. Make a double bed in the back across the wheel arches. Do this in a similar manner to a wooden bed frame. Thick wooden timbers down the side walls, and a centre support. Use slats to bridge the bag, mattress on top, and you have a real double bed. This can be easily removed when you need to by taking out the slats (they’ll be on a rope) and the centre support. Leave the timbers on the side walls as they wont get in the way. Make the bed high up and you’ll have loads of storage underneath for boxes, etc.

For seats you could use camping chairs of make a little wooden seat box with storage. Depends on your time/budget.

Darren

Hi Steve
    Hi Steve

This sounds like a great idea.
    I would do it this way

1. Make a kitchen unit, 2 cupboards underneath, sink and cooker on top. The whole thing can be removed from the van, for more room in the van when required. When re-fitted to the van can be secured to the walls whole with catches or even some screws. Gas bottle and fresh water cans can live in the cupboards. Waste water can drain with a pipe straight to the outside, or even just recess a washing up bowl in the counter top rather than a sink, then throw the water outside. Saves waste plumbing.

2. Make a double bed in the back across the wheel arches. Do this in a similar manner to a wooden bed frame. Thick wooden timbers down the side walls, and a centre support. Use slats to bridge the bag, mattress on top, and you have a real double bed. This can be easily removed when you need to by taking out the slats (they’ll be on a rope) and the centre support. Leave the timbers on the side walls as they wont get in the way. Make the bed high up and you’ll have loads of storage underneath for boxes, etc.

For seats you could use camping chairs of make a little wooden seat box with storage. Depends on your time/budget.

Steverelay
    Participant

thankyou
    Thanks for the reply, the kitchen unit idea sounds good. For the bed I am in 2 minds, something along the lines of your idea, or a sofa bed which could be kept in the house and taken in and out of the van as needed.

The main thing is I am happy with my choice of van, most of last year I had a year 2000 1.9 non turbo relay and it was hard work to drive, hard to keep above 50 mph, very very slow. At the end of the year I traded that one for the turbo HDI one that I have now and thats so much better. Even fully loaded with 2 bikes and tons of camping gear it will sit at 70 mph with no problems and its still pretty good on fuel.

Steverelay
    Participant

thankyou
    Thanks for the reply, the kitchen unit idea sounds good. For the bed I am in 2 minds, something along the lines of your idea, or a sofa bed which could be kept in the house and taken in and out of the van as needed.

The main thing is I am happy with my choice of van, most of last year I had a year 2000 1.9 non turbo relay and it was hard work to drive, hard to keep above 50 mph, very very slow. At the end of the year I traded that one for the turbo HDI one that I have now and thats so much better. Even fully loaded with 2 bikes and tons of camping gear it will sit at 70 mph with no problems and its still pretty good on fuel.

Darren

I’ve tried the sofa bed idea
    I’ve tried the sofa bed idea before and it didn’t work well. They tend to be really heavy and surprisingly big. However the cheap thinner futons work well.

Darren

I’ve tried the sofa bed idea
    I’ve tried the sofa bed idea before and it didn’t work well. They tend to be really heavy and surprisingly big. However the cheap thinner futons work well.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.