Newbi with VW T4 Transporter Synchro

Home Forum topic Introduce Yourself Newbi with VW T4 Transporter Synchro

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    geppyspence
    Participant

Hi everyone! I have recently purchased a VW T4 Transporter for conversion for life on the road.

I am currently trying to sort out the best way to go about the conversion and have a basic idea of the order of how things should be done, but also have some questions mainly about solar and the general electrical work needed to power my life on the road. So if anyone can answer my questions or point me in the direction of an existing thread that would be great!!

So to begin with I am aiming to source insulation: reflective foil insulation, fibreglass and spray foam.

Then I want to move onto solar and battery storage. This is where I have the most questions.

I want to run 240V appliances such as computer and monitor, two burner induction cooktop, 2000W blender etc and am unsure of the following:

– How many panels I will need (I would like to have as little as possible to make use of roof rack space for other things)
    – What size inverter (and other components) I will need
    – The best batteries for this application

I also want to hardwire traditional power sockets (as opposed to having power boards running from an inverter) and led strip lights (ie so they are swithced on/off by a traditional power switch)

Any advice is appreciated.
    Thanks!

Darren

Hi
    Hi

You can source the insulation materials from a DIY store, builders supplier, or I find the internet the cheapest option.

The computer and induction hob will use a great deal of power, and you will have to have lots of leisure batteries, and solar panels to power that.

I would recommend using a laptop computer, as they use far less power.
    I would also recommend using a gas stove, as carrying a gas bottled, and refilling it, is much easier than carrying the batteries and solar panels.

If you used the laptop and gas, you could get away with just one leisure battery and a single solar panel.

Darren

Hi
    Hi

You can source the insulation materials from a DIY store, builders supplier, or I find the internet the cheapest option.

The computer and induction hob will use a great deal of power, and you will have to have lots of leisure batteries, and solar panels to power that.

I would recommend using a laptop computer, as they use far less power.
    I would also recommend using a gas stove, as carrying a gas bottled, and refilling it, is much easier than carrying the batteries and solar panels.

If you used the laptop and gas, you could get away with just one leisure battery and a single solar panel.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.