Newb with big budget

Home Forum topic Buying or selling a camper van Newb with big budget

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    chewmagroo
    Participant

I’ve got a budget of approx £25k to get a campervan and need some advice. Might even stretch to 30k. I’ve never owned or even been in a campervan although caravanned all the time as a youngster.

My plan:
    To travel around mostly continental europe in the van pretty much full time so basically I’ll be living in it. I will be on my own so I don’t think the van needs to be that big and it will need to be suitable for both summer and winter living. Another important factor is stealth and privacy so the van will need to look fairly inconspicuous (not a motorhome) and have a curtain divider fitted behind the front seats.

I don’t want to build my own conversion so would most likely be looking into one of the many van conversion companies out there to either buy from their used stock, buy one locally for me, or to source a base van and convert – I currently live in Northern Ireland where options are very limited.

From my initial research I really like the VW T5 conversions although I’m concerned that maybe they are too small to live in but being on my own and with a pop-top maybe it would be fine. Also not sure how well insulated they are. I suppose renting one for a week would give me a better idea.

My questions:
    Do you think the VW T5 is big enough to live in and suitable for my plan?
    Should I consider a left hand drive van? – as most of my time will be spent driving on the right.
    Is there anything else important I’m missing?

Thanks

Darren

Hi
    Hi

If you are intending to live on the vehicle, especially in winter, get a bigger van.
    I would recommend a medium wheelbase van (about 6m long).
    You will love the extra space, especially long term.
    You wont need the pop top, which saves money and keeps you warmer.
    Big vans are great for keeping stealthy (pop tops aren’t).
    You’ll have more layout choices with a big van, and you get more for your money, as VWs are expensive to buy.

Left hand drive isn’t much of an issue. You’ll get used to driving on the other side quickly.
    Left hand drive is generally more expensive to insure, and more difficult to sell.

My first trip was in a VW sized van. 9 months in Europe in winter. I wished I has a bigger van.
    Second trip was 8 months in Europe, with a bigger Mercedes Sprinter MWB van. Was much more comfortable. had a bathroom and bigger kitchen, which allowed better cooking on cold/wet days.

Darren

Hi
    Hi

If you are intending to live on the vehicle, especially in winter, get a bigger van.
    I would recommend a medium wheelbase van (about 6m long).
    You will love the extra space, especially long term.
    You wont need the pop top, which saves money and keeps you warmer.
    Big vans are great for keeping stealthy (pop tops aren’t).
    You’ll have more layout choices with a big van, and you get more for your money, as VWs are expensive to buy.

Left hand drive isn’t much of an issue. You’ll get used to driving on the other side quickly.
    Left hand drive is generally more expensive to insure, and more difficult to sell.

My first trip was in a VW sized van. 9 months in Europe in winter. I wished I has a bigger van.
    Second trip was 8 months in Europe, with a bigger Mercedes Sprinter MWB van. Was much more comfortable. had a bathroom and bigger kitchen, which allowed better cooking on cold/wet days.

chewmagroo
    Participant

Thanks for the advice Darren.
    Thanks for the advice Darren. So are you saying get a van that allows you to stand up in? Also could you suggest a few other vehicles as welll as the Sprinter? Thanks

chewmagroo
    Participant

Thanks for the advice Darren.
    Thanks for the advice Darren. So are you saying get a van that allows you to stand up in? Also could you suggest a few other vehicles as welll as the Sprinter? Thanks

Darren

Hi
    Hi

Yes, get a van you can walk around in, and stand up in. That will make the biggest difference on a long tour.

Ford Transits are popular, newer ones much better than in the past.
    VW Crafter is a Mercedes Sprinter, with a different engine and gearbox, and a slightly different front end.
    Fiat Ducato, is the most popular with the professional companies, as it’s the widest (great for a bed across the van), and rear wheel drive, so the back is less-high off the ground.

Darren

Hi
    Hi

Yes, get a van you can walk around in, and stand up in. That will make the biggest difference on a long tour.

Ford Transits are popular, newer ones much better than in the past.
    VW Crafter is a Mercedes Sprinter, with a different engine and gearbox, and a slightly different front end.
    Fiat Ducato, is the most popular with the professional companies, as it’s the widest (great for a bed across the van), and rear wheel drive, so the back is less-high off the ground.

Natasha

Van that may suit
    Hi there,

Lucky you getting to travel around Europe it’s a great thing to do!

This isn’t a T5 (we had one of those before) but I’m selling my T25 which has been refurbished to a very high standard and is ready for Europe. Take a look…

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272272025304

Best of luck with your trip and please just let me know if you have any questions.

Natasha

Van that may suit
    Hi there,

Lucky you getting to travel around Europe it’s a great thing to do!

This isn’t a T5 (we had one of those before) but I’m selling my T25 which has been refurbished to a very high standard and is ready for Europe. Take a look…

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272272025304

Best of luck with your trip and please just let me know if you have any questions.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.