new to it

Home Forum topic Campervan Conversions new to it

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Scooby
    Participant

I’ve just bought a M Reg VW Transporter 7 seater Minibus and am planning to convert it to a camper. I’ve never done anything like this before and have no idea what to do but am really looking forward to learning how to do it and getting it done.

First question I have (and there will be many more over the next year or so) is where I stand legally with driving it esp re insurance. I intend to use it as my transport whilst converting, so it will gradually lose the seats and become an empty van, then into a van. when do I have to infor the DVLA and insurance that it is no longer a minibus? As soon as I’ve removed the seats or once the conversion is complete? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Major Gruber
    Participant

If I were you, I’d take out
    If I were you, I’d take out all the seats and insure it as a van for now. (Tell the insurance company) My minibus insurance was crucifying compared to a plain van. This is partly because of the number of seats and potential “Whiplash4U” claims and partly because the minibus has windows which thieves can peer through/break to steal the contents.. Once you’ve done the conversion you can have it inspected and re registered

Major Gruber
    Participant

If I were you, I’d take out all the seats and insure it as a van for now. (Tell the insurance company) My minibus insurance was crucifying compared to a plain van. This is partly because of the number of seats and potential “Whiplash4U” claims and partly because the minibus has windows which thieves can peer through/break to steal the contents.. Once you’ve done the conversion you can have it inspected and re registered

Major Gruber
    Participant

Major Gruber
    Participant

Major Gruber
    Participant

Major Gruber
    Participant

Major Gruber
    Participant

Major Gruber
    Participant

Major Gruber
    Participant

Major Gruber
    Participant

Major Gruber
    Participant

Major Gruber
    Participant

Darren
    Keymaster

Major Grubber has good advice
    Major Grubber has good advice there.
    I would contact your insurance company and find out what they say. They may be very particular in the order they want you to do it.
    I have used http://www.campton.co.uk and found them very good.

Darren
    Keymaster

Major Grubber has good advice
    Major Grubber has good advice there.
    I would contact your insurance company and find out what they say. They may be very particular in the order they want you to do it.
    I have used http://www.campton.co.uk and found them very good.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.