New to group – Traveling Europe long term – Clarification required

Home Forum topic General Chit Chat New to group – Traveling Europe long term – Clarification required

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  WanderingJon 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
  • #154827



    I’m new to the group. I’ve been trawling the internet for a definitive answer, and I think I have it, apologies if I’m bringing up an old, tired topic!

    If I want to travel around Europe in a UK registered camper, do I have to return to the UK once a year for a new MOT and to avoid having to export the vehicle?

    I’ve picked up some info on insurance whilst researching but if anyone has any advice I’d appreciate it.





    Hello and welcome

    You are correct.
    To travel in Europe the vehicle has to be legal in its registered country.
    So a UK vehicle must always have an MOT, if it’s on the road and older than 3 years old. Even when it is outside of the UK.
    The only way to avoid this is to register the vehicle in another country, and do this each year as you move around.
    In some countries, e.g. France, it is not straightforward to change vehicle registration, compared to countries such as the UK.
    Germany might be easier, and might be an easier location to get to each year.
    In my experience it’s easiest to bring the vehicle home once a year.
    Vehicles younger than 3 years do not need an MOT, if you have the budget.



    Cheers Darren, thanks for taking the time to reply. Much appreciated.


Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recommended reads

Here are some of our favourite guides to campervan conversion and travel.
[content_block id=155365]
[content_block id=155431]
[content_block id=155390]
[content_block id=155371]