New fella

Home Forum topic Campervan Conversions New fella

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    WATERBLOKE
    Participant

Zig Units
    Thanks Darren for your reply at least I now know how to go about things with the wild camping.I have everything I need wired in on 12 volt and have a separate system for 240 hookups.I read a lot about smartcom relays is this the best to get ? Although all the 12 volt system has separate switches on all the equipment I will think about putting switches where the Zig was going to go.What do you reckon.Also what size fuses do you recommend on the charging side from relay to battery etc.Thanks again Dave

WATERBLOKE
    Participant

Zig Units
    Thanks Darren for your reply at least I now know how to go about things with the wild camping.I have everything I need wired in on 12 volt and have a separate system for 240 hookups.I read a lot about smartcom relays is this the best to get ? Although all the 12 volt system has separate switches on all the equipment I will think about putting switches where the Zig was going to go.What do you reckon.Also what size fuses do you recommend on the charging side from relay to battery etc.Thanks again Dave

Darren

Smartcom relays are good, as
    Smartcom relays are good, as they don’t require the trigger wire from the alternator. So a bit simpler. On some you can change the trigger voltage, which is also good, but generally not required.

Separate 12v switches can be really useful sometimes. On mine I have one for the 12v water pump, so I can turn off when the van is not in use. But I don’t have one for the 12v fridge anymore. I did, but found it was too easy to turn the fridge off by error. So now the fridge is turned off either inside the fridge (via the dial), or via the fuse for long term storage.

For things like lights there is no need for an additional switch, unless you want to turn on all lights at once perhaps?

Put a big fuse between 12v batteries and chargers. Maybe 50 amp. If there is a short, overload or problem the 50 amp will be blown straight away. But it’s still big enough for charging.

Darren

Smartcom relays are good, as
    Smartcom relays are good, as they don’t require the trigger wire from the alternator. So a bit simpler. On some you can change the trigger voltage, which is also good, but generally not required.

Separate 12v switches can be really useful sometimes. On mine I have one for the 12v water pump, so I can turn off when the van is not in use. But I don’t have one for the 12v fridge anymore. I did, but found it was too easy to turn the fridge off by error. So now the fridge is turned off either inside the fridge (via the dial), or via the fuse for long term storage.

For things like lights there is no need for an additional switch, unless you want to turn on all lights at once perhaps?

Put a big fuse between 12v batteries and chargers. Maybe 50 amp. If there is a short, overload or problem the 50 amp will be blown straight away. But it’s still big enough for charging.

WATERBLOKE
    Participant

Smartcom relay
    Thanks for your reply. The smartcom relay has turned up so being fitted this week if the weather is good.Find it had to work on the van in freezing cold.One thing I noticed about the relay is the very small cable connections 3 one side and 2 the other they supply a wiring diagram with the unit but these connections are so small I would be lucky to get any significant size cable in them.Or is it a case that only a trickle charge goes through the cable so as long as its fused each side the size of cable can be small, what do you reckon.

WATERBLOKE
    Participant

Smartcom relay
    Thanks for your reply. The smartcom relay has turned up so being fitted this week if the weather is good.Find it had to work on the van in freezing cold.One thing I noticed about the relay is the very small cable connections 3 one side and 2 the other they supply a wiring diagram with the unit but these connections are so small I would be lucky to get any significant size cable in them.Or is it a case that only a trickle charge goes through the cable so as long as its fused each side the size of cable can be small, what do you reckon.

Darren

Hi
    Hi

Yes, it is hard in the cold weather. I used to wear many layers and fingerless gloves.
    I do remember the cable entry points being quite small. Use the biggest cable you can that fits into the entry points, and make sure you fuse each side of the battery and you’ll should be fine.
    The engine does charge batteries fairly slowly.

Darren

Hi
    Hi

Yes, it is hard in the cold weather. I used to wear many layers and fingerless gloves.
    I do remember the cable entry points being quite small. Use the biggest cable you can that fits into the entry points, and make sure you fuse each side of the battery and you’ll should be fine.
    The engine does charge batteries fairly slowly.

WATERBLOKE
    Participant

Reply to last post
    Hi Darren,
    Thanks for the tips on the smartcom,I am so glad I,ve discovered this site and to talk to someone who knows what its all about with camper-van conversions.Can,t wait till the better weather comes and all my work on the van is finished and we can get on the road.Later I will be in touch to find out where the best places are ( if there is such a list on your site ) to stop overnight that are not frowned upon if you do.Cheers for now.
    Dave

WATERBLOKE
    Participant

Reply to last post
    Hi Darren,
    Thanks for the tips on the smartcom,I am so glad I,ve discovered this site and to talk to someone who knows what its all about with camper-van conversions.Can,t wait till the better weather comes and all my work on the van is finished and we can get on the road.Later I will be in touch to find out where the best places are ( if there is such a list on your site ) to stop overnight that are not frowned upon if you do.Cheers for now.
    Dave

WATERBLOKE
    Participant

Smartcom relay
    Hi Darren,
    The smartcom relay is now fitted and seems to be working but I,m not sure what to expect on first try.The read out on the leisure battery was showing about 12.5 than I notice the figure move just .1 up to 12.6.Should the read out rise while I look at it on tick over or does the engine need to be revved to charge the leisure battery.I can,t take the van out for a run at the moment owing to it not being taxed.Would it be an idea to run the leisure battery down to about 8.00 or 8.5 than run the engine so it picks up to normal voltage again.Before the relay was fitted I was charging with a normal battery charger ( both engine and leisure ) as the vans been standing since last September only firing it up once a week so engine would n,t seize.What do you reckon.

WATERBLOKE
    Participant

Smartcom relay
    Hi Darren,
    The smartcom relay is now fitted and seems to be working but I,m not sure what to expect on first try.The read out on the leisure battery was showing about 12.5 than I notice the figure move just .1 up to 12.6.Should the read out rise while I look at it on tick over or does the engine need to be revved to charge the leisure battery.I can,t take the van out for a run at the moment owing to it not being taxed.Would it be an idea to run the leisure battery down to about 8.00 or 8.5 than run the engine so it picks up to normal voltage again.Before the relay was fitted I was charging with a normal battery charger ( both engine and leisure ) as the vans been standing since last September only firing it up once a week so engine would n,t seize.What do you reckon.

Darren

Hi
    Hi

Without the engine running the leisure battery (and engine battery) should ready 12.8v or less.
    When you start the engine, both batteries should rise to 14.4v.
    If you leisure battery doesn’t rise to 14.4v try revving the engine. If not then, you have a wiring issue.
    It should rise to 14.4v even on tick over, but the smart relay has a sensitivity control that might require a bit of revs to open the gate.
    No need to actually move the vehicle.

Darren

Hi
    Hi

Without the engine running the leisure battery (and engine battery) should ready 12.8v or less.
    When you start the engine, both batteries should rise to 14.4v.
    If you leisure battery doesn’t rise to 14.4v try revving the engine. If not then, you have a wiring issue.
    It should rise to 14.4v even on tick over, but the smart relay has a sensitivity control that might require a bit of revs to open the gate.
    No need to actually move the vehicle.

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.