Meths stoves

Home Forum topic Campervan Conversions Meths stoves

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Munkustrap
    Participant

Does anyone have any experience with using Meths stoves? I am considering this because the campervan I bought recently has a gas hob fitted, but not installed. On enquiring at my local caravan dealer I was told that installation would have to involve fitting an externally accessible locker for the gas bottle, which is going to be expensive and inconvenient. I have separately been told that meths stoves avoid all this and need less ventilation.

I found this example of a meths stove that is designed for use on a boat, but I could see no reason why it wouldn’t be suitable for a camper van also. http://www.dometic.com/enuk/Europe/United-Kingdom/Marine-Equipment/Galley-Appliances/Stoves-Hobs/products/?productdataid=72887

DAVEY
    Participant

Meths Stove
    10 Minutes to boil 1 litre of water? I hope You’re not in a hurry for Your cup of tea!
    Also if You have to buy a new stove how does the cost compare to having the one You already have connected up?
    Also why does the gas locker have to be accessible from outside? could You not just have a vent in the side of the van, near the bottom of the locker? This would let any leaking gas escape outside and a sealed door inside the the van would prevent gas leaking in to the van, while allowing You access to change the bottle.
    (It’s always safest to turn the gas off while You are travelling to prevent leaks anyhow)

Sorry if this sounds negative but I have seen people using meths powered camping stoves (usually made by Trangia) and they are slow!

DAVEY
    Participant

Meths Stove
    10 Minutes to boil 1 litre of water? I hope You’re not in a hurry for Your cup of tea!
    Also if You have to buy a new stove how does the cost compare to having the one You already have connected up?
    Also why does the gas locker have to be accessible from outside? could You not just have a vent in the side of the van, near the bottom of the locker? This would let any leaking gas escape outside and a sealed door inside the the van would prevent gas leaking in to the van, while allowing You access to change the bottle.
    (It’s always safest to turn the gas off while You are travelling to prevent leaks anyhow)

Sorry if this sounds negative but I have seen people using meths powered camping stoves (usually made by Trangia) and they are slow!

DAVEY
    Participant

Meths Stove

Darren
    Keymaster

You do not have to have an
    You do not have to have an externally accessibly gas locker. This is a misconception. Although it’s considered best to have external access, even some of the pro conversion companies don’t do this. It’s much easier to have the gas bottle inside a cupboard inside the living area, so that you can turn off the gas easily without going outside.

It’s much easier to connect up your existing gas hob. It’s cheaper and easier than meths.

Darren
    Keymaster

You do not have to have an externally accessibly gas locker. This is a misconception. Although it’s considered best to have external access, even some of the pro conversion companies don’t do this. It’s much easier to have the gas bottle inside a cupboard inside the living area, so that you can turn off the gas easily without going outside.

It’s much easier to connect up your existing gas hob. It’s cheaper and easier than meths.

Darren
    Keymaster

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.