Mercedes Sprinter Camper Van

Home Forum topic Show off your camper van Mercedes Sprinter Camper Van

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    philmoonraker
    Participant

Here are a few photos of progress I have made with the Mercedes Sprinter MWB camper conversion I am doing.
    I chose the MWB high top, as I wanted a roomy van. I started with a rough design plan, then decided to make it all up as I went along ( my life plan is the same ).

Darren
    Keymaster

Great to see your progress so
    Great to see your progress so far. I have the same van. Great vehicle.

Darren
    Keymaster

Darren
    Keymaster

philmoonraker
    Participant

(pressed wrong button, there’s more…..) Thanks for the comment, Darren.
    The previous photo – I decided to strip back the ply to see how it was insulated and to improve it. Also, the van was wired for 240V with cable, so I replaced this with flex.

Next, decided that side windows would make being in the van more pleasant. Had 2 side windows with privacy glass fitted for me. Whilst topping up the insulation I added 12v wiring for lights and cigar lighter sockets. To switch the 12v electrical items, I have used a switch panel from an old library bus my friend has converted.

I have a caravan I am cannabilising, so recycled as much from this as practical. The overhead lockers I am particularly pleased with. The roof vent was recycled. The timber is the base for the galley. I will use the caravan sink, cushions etc. I have a 2 ring stove donated by a friend.

To line the interior I wanted something different to the standard material, plus I am recycling! To disprove my mum’s view that going to the pub is a waste of time I was chatting to a mate over a beer. He’s a bespoke antique upholsterer and has remnants left over. I now have reels of random designs of material which I am using to line out the inside, free! Sealing with PVA and using carpet glue seems to be working so far. The roof lights were 10w halogen and I replaced them with 1w LEDs to draw less from leisure battery. I’ve kept the original fitment panel lamps, as they work and it seemed sensible to just leave them alone.

Next, the seating/bed base. Just timber, screws and ply for the carcass. Plan to fit a “safe” under the bed/seating – this is recycled coin operated thing (the sort of thing you put a token into for a shower on a campsite). My brother found this in his shed,”it’s been in there for 10 years!”, he admitted after donating it. Still more to do, but creeping closer to being functional. So, apart from being good fun, the camper conversion is relieving people of their own junk!

Next jobs: to replace double passenger seat with a single ( have bought one aleady off ebay ); more storage; wire up leisure battery + split charge relay.

More photo’s when things have progressed a bit further. My advice – have a go, it’s a learning thing. A damned more fun than fixing my old car!

philmoonraker
    Participant

The previous photo – I decided to strip back the ply to see how it was insulated and to improve it. Also, the van was wired for 240V with cable, so I replaced this with flex.

Next, decided that side windows would make being in the van more pleasant. Had 2 side windows with privacy glass fitted for me. Whilst topping up the insulation I added 12v wiring for lights and cigar lighter sockets. To switch the 12v electrical items, I have used a switch panel from an old library bus my friend has converted.

I have a caravan I am cannabilising, so recycled as much from this as practical. The overhead lockers I am particularly pleased with. The roof vent was recycled. The timber is the base for the galley. I will use the caravan sink, cushions etc. I have a 2 ring stove donated by a friend.

To line the interior I wanted something different to the standard material, plus I am recycling! To disprove my mum’s view that going to the pub is a waste of time I was chatting to a mate over a beer. He’s a bespoke antique upholsterer and has remnants left over. I now have reels of random designs of material which I am using to line out the inside, free! Sealing with PVA and using carpet glue seems to be working so far. The roof lights were 10w halogen and I replaced them with 1w LEDs to draw less from leisure battery. I’ve kept the original fitment panel lamps, as they work and it seemed sensible to just leave them alone.

Next, the seating/bed base. Just timber, screws and ply for the carcass. Plan to fit a “safe” under the bed/seating – this is recycled coin operated thing (the sort of thing you put a token into for a shower on a campsite). My brother found this in his shed,”it’s been in there for 10 years!”, he admitted after donating it. Still more to do, but creeping closer to being functional. So, apart from being good fun, the camper conversion is relieving people of their own junk!

Next jobs: to replace double passenger seat with a single ( have bought one aleady off ebay ); more storage; wire up leisure battery + split charge relay.

More photo’s when things have progressed a bit further. My advice – have a go, it’s a learning thing. A damned more fun than fixing my old car!

philmoonraker
    Participant

Kris
    Participant

Brilliant
    looking good id recomend a voltage sensing relay of ebay if you have a look at my Transit conversion theres some info on there.
    with the pva and carpet glue, call up technical advise (should be on the tin) and check what temperature its rated to, Ive used glue from screw fix then i read some where its not suitible so i called the teck and they said not to use in a vehicle as it wont withstand the temperature if left in the sun so i ended up getting fast fix which is rated to 120 degrees celcuis

keep posting updates

Regards

Kris

Kris
    Participant

Brilliant
    looking good id recomend a voltage sensing relay of ebay if you have a look at my Transit conversion theres some info on there.
    with the pva and carpet glue, call up technical advise (should be on the tin) and check what temperature its rated to, Ive used glue from screw fix then i read some where its not suitible so i called the teck and they said not to use in a vehicle as it wont withstand the temperature if left in the sun so i ended up getting fast fix which is rated to 120 degrees celcuis

keep posting updates

Regards

Kris

Kris
    Participant

Brilliant

keep posting updates

Regards

Kris

Kris
    Participant

Brilliant

keep posting updates

Regards

Kris

Kris
    Participant

Brilliant

keep posting updates

Regards

Kris

Kris
    Participant

Brilliant

keep posting updates

Regards

Kris

philmoonraker
    Participant

inaugural trip
    Thanks for the comment and tips, Kris. I have a voltage sensitive relay to fit, just waiting to sort out swapping double passenger seat for single. Thinking better glue might be a good idea for the lining, but have a staple gun !
    Here’s a photo of inside the van on my first trip out in it (it was a bit cold, but I had hook-up and a heater). The inside is not finished, but I was itching to try it out, so went away for 2 nights. Useful to test out how things go and make a few changes here and there. I think my dog would have rather been at home or in the pub. Great van to drive, really good on fuel if you don’t rush along. Mine is a diesel, 2.2.

Next job is fitting a propex heater, the second-hand 2 ring stove + grill and more curtains.

How do folks do music in self-builds? I have an old car stereo with an input for mp3, so think about wiring this up as I like a bit of music (once I master mp3’s !).

Have fitted a carbon monoxide detector inside for safety. The galley worktops are from a school science lab, oroco wood, free and now varnished (had to promise to sand out “Mr B is a w*nker”, as part of the free deal !).

Will post more as things plod on.

philmoonraker
    Participant

inaugural trip
    Thanks for the comment and tips, Kris. I have a voltage sensitive relay to fit, just waiting to sort out swapping double passenger seat for single. Thinking better glue might be a good idea for the lining, but have a staple gun !
    Here’s a photo of inside the van on my first trip out in it (it was a bit cold, but I had hook-up and a heater). The inside is not finished, but I was itching to try it out, so went away for 2 nights. Useful to test out how things go and make a few changes here and there. I think my dog would have rather been at home or in the pub. Great van to drive, really good on fuel if you don’t rush along. Mine is a diesel, 2.2.

Next job is fitting a propex heater, the second-hand 2 ring stove + grill and more curtains.

How do folks do music in self-builds? I have an old car stereo with an input for mp3, so think about wiring this up as I like a bit of music (once I master mp3’s !).

Have fitted a carbon monoxide detector inside for safety. The galley worktops are from a school science lab, oroco wood, free and now varnished (had to promise to sand out “Mr B is a w*nker”, as part of the free deal !).

Will post more as things plod on.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.