Me

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Jonny HS
    Participant

Hello.

Newbie here, thinking hard about a DIY van conversion, with loads of dreams, and plans, and fear…

Not in a position to dive in quite yet, so looking about and seeing what the pitfalls are before I start! The plan is to buy an old van (LWB & Hi-top), and kind of let it evolve from a tin tent (insulated/lined, naturally) into a 4/5 berth for my family, which currently has 4/5 members! I’m relatively handy, but this will be a crazy project for me, so I’m not looking to make something with all the bells and whistles, just something that fits our needs. I have a good number of handier friends, some with conversion experience, some with pro-conversions, and some who just build stuff (like houses…).

I like the simplicity of the old LDV convoy, with it’s transit engine and hi roof, plus you can pick them up from Scout groups, or churches, with next to no miles on. I’d love to find a crew-van, but may settle for a 17 seater minibus and strip out the seats. This will mean loads of light, but fiddly for lining. I am instinctively nervous about adding windows to a panel van!

Ideals are: Small Kitchen (w/fridge,hob & sink), portapotty cupboard, 4 berth (5 may be pushing it), lighting, seating and 240v hook up.

Sound crazy? Sound possible?

Looking forward to the adventure…

Jonny

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.