Many many Questions

Home Forum topic General Chit Chat Many many Questions

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
  • #105932
    jon james

    Hi I am 74 years old, very very active, regular mountain biker, and one of a few to have solved the “enigma Challenge’…codebreaking,,so my brain seems OK.

    I have lived in Asia as a Chartered Engineer and Technical Support for CNC machine Tool Manufacturer.

    For the last 20 years I have lived in bangkok and exhausted it’s delights and see more of it’s downsides.

    I am a minimalist, live on veggies and fruit and tea and bread. I read and read and read again books on MP3, very eclectic mix.

    I have 2 condos, a posh studio in Bangkok and one near Pattaya, on the beach, not so posh.
    My UK pension is never increased, unless I reside again in the UK for 6 months. I really need to qualify for the increase.

    So to get to the points.

    1. Can I renew my driving licence OK.

    2. Is it possible to live in a campervan in remote areas, without breaking the law ?

    3. I would budget about GBP10,000 to buy one, or consider renting for six months depending on the relative costs.

    4. Just musing..anyone like to use my condo’s in exchange for borrow their camper..hey maybe just house exchange

    Thank You


Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
  1. twinwebber16001972 February 18, 2012 at 11:06 pm

    camper van as home
    re living in a van in Britain , mostly illegal unless on an official campsite, i know , i live in mine , if in layby and told by police to move, best to move!

  2. Hi Jon
    Nice to hear from you.

    Hi Jon

    Nice to hear from you. You have an interesting past.

    1. You should have no problem. You’ll likely need to fill in forms, and get a new photo driving license. You should contact the DVLA:

    2. It is possible. It is legal as well. However, you need the land owners permission. There is very little public land, and the Police will eventually move you on. You need to find somewhere you can stay legally. Even if you own a piece of land, or someone else does, you can only park there for 28 days in each year. After that you need planning permission to stay longer. There are lots of cheap campsites called certified locations (CL) or certified sites (CS). There can be just a few pounds per day. They typically have no services, maybe fresh water. So you’ll need a self-sufficient campervan.

    3. £10,000 would buy a good used motorhome or campervan. If you intend on staying in a location for a period of time, and not moving too much, get the biggest one you can. Renting gets expensive quickly.

    4. Maybe next year. I love SE Asia, but wont be able to get there for a while.

    I hope this helps.