Looking for advice on first van

Home Forum topic Buying or selling a camper van Looking for advice on first van

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Ben and Hannah
    Participant

Hi there we are just starting to look around for our first camper van together, we love the classic VW’s but are resigned not to get one as we feel that they have rather inflated prices these days as most people seem to like them and also we are worried about getting such an old van as we want our van above all to be reliable.

Ok so we are debating how much money we should spend on it, the figure that keeps popping up is about £8000 obviously we would like to spend less if poss but we are more than willing to spend that much and maybe we could spend a bit more if we have to. We are preferably looking for a 4 berth as we have two children but we could get a 2 berth and take a tent but would much rather get a 4 berth.

Our current train of thought is that we want as new a van as possible with as low mileage as poss, so have been thinking of vans such as the toyota hiace and mazda bongo as the ones on the market seem to be a bit newer and of a reasonable price. We would like to hear peoples views of these vans and any other vans that you may think are worth us having a look at, or any you think are worth staying away from. Also what would be a good mileage to look for and any other advice you think may be usefull as we are not mechanical in the slightest and are not really sure on what we should be looking out for.

Thanks very much

Ben and Hannah

jockspeed
    Participant

a drive away awning is a far better idea than a tent as it attaches to the side of the van and increases your living space greatly…the only problem with them is the time it takes to set them up and repack…fine if your staying in one place but a right pain if you plan to do a bit of touring which you prob will once you’ve had the van a while so its a better idea to purchase a 4berth in the first place…..realistically a bongo is far to small for 4 and if your refering to japanese import hiaces they are pretty awful on fuel unless you can find a 2wheel drive manual gearbox one (rare as hens teeth…

jockspeed
    Participant

a drive away awning is a far better idea than a tent as it attaches to the side of the van and increases your living space greatly…the only problem with them is the time it takes to set them up and repack…fine if your staying in one place but a right pain if you plan to do a bit of touring which you prob will once you’ve had the van a while so its a better idea to purchase a 4berth in the first place…..realistically a bongo is far to small for 4 and if your refering to japanese import hiaces they are pretty awful on fuel unless you can find a 2wheel drive manual gearbox one (rare as hens teeth…

Darren
    Keymaster

Old VW’s have heavily
    Old VW’s have heavily inflated prices.
    There are better, but less cool, options.
    Mazda Bongo’s are actually people carriers, with some being converted to camper vans. My friends have one as a people carrier. It’s a great vehicle, but quite a small camper van. And they are expensive.
    Toyota Hiace is a great van. Very reliable.

You are on the right train of thought if you want a small camper van.
    If you want a big vehicle, for lots of space, assuming you have the space to store the vehicle, consider a bigger motorhome. You will have masses more space, especially if your children are still growing up.

Darren
    Keymaster

Old VW’s have heavily
    Mazda Bongo’s are actually people carriers, with some being converted to camper vans. My friends have one as a people carrier. It’s a great vehicle, but quite a small camper van. And they are expensive.

If you want a big vehicle, for lots of space, assuming you have the space to store the vehicle, consider a bigger motorhome. You will have masses more space, especially if your children are still growing up.

Darren
    Keymaster

Old VW’s have heavily

Darren
    Keymaster

Old VW’s have heavily

Darren
    Keymaster

Old VW’s have heavily

Darren
    Keymaster

Old VW’s have heavily

Darren
    Keymaster

Old VW’s have heavily

Darren
    Keymaster

Old VW’s have heavily

John parr
    Participant

first van
    I not trying yo sell you my van which is for sale in this section,well maybe i am but not in a pushy way?I may be bias but you cant go far wrong with a tranny ,there simple ,robust,have strong reliable engines ,cheap parts.My van has been very reliable its not the fastest but for its size its inc good on fuel,the only downside with trannys is rust they are prone to rusting a bit more than other vans,but not that much and can be repaired infinately.I wouldnt touch early hdi diesel engine if pumps need work can cost you a small fortune ,standard td or early unturbo engines best ,i personally would go for an older van thats been looked after i.e service history etc,if your not sure about a vehicle i would take a mechanic along to check it out if poss.Good luck and Happy camping.John

John parr
    Participant

first van
    I not trying yo sell you my van which is for sale in this section,well maybe i am but not in a pushy way?I may be bias but you cant go far wrong with a tranny ,there simple ,robust,have strong reliable engines ,cheap parts.My van has been very reliable its not the fastest but for its size its inc good on fuel,the only downside with trannys is rust they are prone to rusting a bit more than other vans,but not that much and can be repaired infinately.I wouldnt touch early hdi diesel engine if pumps need work can cost you a small fortune ,standard td or early unturbo engines best ,i personally would go for an older van thats been looked after i.e service history etc,if your not sure about a vehicle i would take a mechanic along to check it out if poss.Good luck and Happy camping.John

John parr
    Participant

first van

John parr
    Participant

first van

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.