Looking for a base vehicle? advice wanted? comments on Fiat Ducato and Vivaro options.

Home Forum topic Campervan Conversions Looking for a base vehicle? advice wanted? comments on Fiat Ducato and Vivaro options.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    nwcoupleuk
    Participant

Hi All
    New members here.
    Currently looking at various base vehicles for a conversion campervan.
    Had looked at the Vivaro but then discovered it had the french Renault engine, have had past bad nightmares with a french diesel?
    Great when theyre going but if anything goes wrong??
    Time to pray and get a second mortgage?? parts and labour.
    Plus a bit of googling on Vivaro engines brings up a rather worrying high amount of problems on many forums etc with cutting out, electric problems but mostly the Injectors!
    Crazily expensive but also the majority been seized in the engine block and requiring block stripping or a specailist to remove them.
    But as we arent looking at a new one but one several years old and 100,000 miles ish then looks like a possible nightmare waiting to happen with maintenance etc.
    Have seen the Fiat Ducato though!!
    Looks good, MWB or SWB, low roof and about 2.o TD.
    I see they mostly have their own Italian Fiat engines in them?
    Anyone have any comments about their reliability and econamy etc?
    I know what ever car you look up they all have their problems but looking for a good sound reliable trustworthy base vehicle with a good reputation and reaslistic maintenance costs for as and when stuff will need doing.
    Thanks and a Great Forum full of lots of great information!
    A&J Uk

mgroadster
    Participant

Transit or sprinter.
    Transit or sprinter.

mgroadster
    Participant

Transit or sprinter.
    Transit or sprinter.

mgroadster
    Participant

Transit or sprinter.
    Transit or sprinter.

mgroadster
    Participant

Transit or sprinter.
    Transit or sprinter.

mgroadster
    Participant

Transit or sprinter.
    Transit or sprinter.

Darren
    Keymaster

Fiat Ducato is very popular
    Fiat Ducato is very popular with campervan makers. However, I’m not sure it is the best van when buying an old one with 100,000 miles on it.
    As roadster says, Sprinter and Transits are popular, and very reliable. Also the VW Crafter is a Sprinter with a VW engine in it, so equally as good. Also Iveco Daily is a very good van.

The Ducato is a good van, but the ones I’ve just mentioned will probably be more reliable and cost you less in maintenance.

Darren
    Keymaster

Fiat Ducato is very popular with campervan makers. However, I’m not sure it is the best van when buying an old one with 100,000 miles on it.
    As roadster says, Sprinter and Transits are popular, and very reliable. Also the VW Crafter is a Sprinter with a VW engine in it, so equally as good. Also Iveco Daily is a very good van.

The Ducato is a good van, but the ones I’ve just mentioned will probably be more reliable and cost you less in maintenance.

Darren
    Keymaster

Darren
    Keymaster

Darren
    Keymaster

Abbie clarke

Conversion
    We are currently selling a VW T5 55 plate. 102bhp, air con and electric windows and mirrors. It’s very clean inside and out and it’s just got new lining and a new floor. It would make a perfect campervan! Text me for details 07775710894

Abbie clarke

Conversion
    We are currently selling a VW T5 55 plate. 102bhp, air con and electric windows and mirrors. It’s very clean inside and out and it’s just got new lining and a new floor. It would make a perfect campervan! Text me for details 07775710894

Abbie clarke

Conversion

Abbie clarke

Conversion

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.