little bit of battery advice please :)

Home Forum topic Campervan Conversions little bit of battery advice please :)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    lucyellwood8
    Participant

Hi!

me and the other half have a short wheel base vw caddy which we are hoping to convert into a very basic camper, just some storage, a mobile kitchen unit and a fixed bench/bed. i’m just a little overwhelmed with all the info regarding batteries, we will only be needing to charge our phones/laptop/camera from the leisure battery as well as powering some fairy lights during the evening as we have a solar lamp which we will be able to use also – we are also looking at buying a cool box which runs on a 12v connection to the cigarette lighter. we have people locally who should be able to fit the battery and all the necessary wiring (as we’re not clued up with that stuff) i just want to make sure i’ve got the right equipment – would a 110ah battery be enough for the power that we want?

Darren

Hi
    Hi

For everything, except the coolbox, a single 110ah battery fill be fine. Fit a split charge relay, to charge the leisure battery from the engine while driving.

Most coolboxes are designed to work when you are driving, and so are not energy efficient. They will flatten a leisure battery fairly quickly. There are some energy efficient ones around.
    Do you know the model you are considering?
    If you use frozen blocks from the freezer, and run the coolbox from the engine, you can have a cool place to stay things for a night, or maybe two if you are careful.

Darren

Hi
    Hi

For everything, except the coolbox, a single 110ah battery fill be fine. Fit a split charge relay, to charge the leisure battery from the engine while driving.

Most coolboxes are designed to work when you are driving, and so are not energy efficient. They will flatten a leisure battery fairly quickly. There are some energy efficient ones around.
    Do you know the model you are considering?
    If you use frozen blocks from the freezer, and run the coolbox from the engine, you can have a cool place to stay things for a night, or maybe two if you are careful.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.