License help!!

Home Forum topic General Chit Chat License help!!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    sophia9187
    Participant

Hi everyone,

We have been converting our LDV Convoy into a camper van but are now confused about our driving licenses!

Firstly, if I was to buy a normal camper or motorhome would I have to change my license to allow me to drive it?

Secondly, the original Maximum Authorised Weight of our mini bus was 3800 kilograms. With our “B” licenses we are allowed to drive up to a 3500 kg vehicle. If our camper comes in at under this are we allowed to drive it? Or because the MAM is stated on the logbook are we technically not allowed to drive it?

I hope the above post made sense!!

Thank you,

Sophia

mgroadster
    Participant

TBH, I don’t know. I know on
    TBH, I don’t know. I know on my licence I can drive upto 7.5 GVW, so presume you are “young uns”?
    I’m not sure how the licences work for those who have taken their test in the last few years, so would consult the muppets by phone at DVLA for a clearer picture.

mgroadster
    Participant

TBH, I don’t know. I know on my licence I can drive upto 7.5 GVW, so presume you are “young uns”?
    I’m not sure how the licences work for those who have taken their test in the last few years, so would consult the muppets by phone at DVLA for a clearer picture.

mgroadster
    Participant

mgroadster
    Participant

mgroadster
    Participant

mgroadster
    Participant

Darren
    Keymaster

Hi Sophia
    When did you get

Hi Sophia

When did you get your license? After 1997? Do you have C1 category on your license?

“Firstly, if I was to buy a normal camper or motorhome would I have to change my license to allow me to drive it?”
    Depends. All vehicles have a weight, and your license defines what vehicle you can drive.
    Most vans and motorhomes weight 3,500 KGS or less.

“Secondly, the original Maximum Authorised Weight of our mini bus was 3800 kilograms. With our “B” licenses we are allowed to drive up to a 3500 kg vehicle. If our camper comes in at under this are we allowed to drive it? Or because the MAM is stated on the logbook are we technically not allowed to drive it?”
    It’s the MAM weight, not what the vehicle actually weighs, that determines whether you can drive it. if you have a B license, you cannot drive a vehicle that weighs more than 3,5000 KGs. If you have C1 you can.

You can take the test to get the C1 category, or you can change the van to one with a 3,500 KG MAM, or you can get your LDV Down plated, which is the process of reducing it’s MAM. This is normally just paperwork. Maybe the later option is best for you?

See this about driving licenses.
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/WhatCanYouDriveAndYourObligations/DG_4022547

Darren
    Keymaster

Hi Sophia
    When did you get

Hi Sophia

When did you get your license? After 1997? Do you have C1 category on your license?

“Firstly, if I was to buy a normal camper or motorhome would I have to change my license to allow me to drive it?”
    Depends. All vehicles have a weight, and your license defines what vehicle you can drive.

“Secondly, the original Maximum Authorised Weight of our mini bus was 3800 kilograms. With our “B” licenses we are allowed to drive up to a 3500 kg vehicle. If our camper comes in at under this are we allowed to drive it? Or because the MAM is stated on the logbook are we technically not allowed to drive it?”
    It’s the MAM weight, not what the vehicle actually weighs, that determines whether you can drive it. if you have a B license, you cannot drive a vehicle that weighs more than 3,5000 KGs. If you have C1 you can.

You can take the test to get the C1 category, or you can change the van to one with a 3,500 KG MAM, or you can get your LDV Down plated, which is the process of reducing it’s MAM. This is normally just paperwork. Maybe the later option is best for you?

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/WhatCanYouDriveAndYourObligations/DG_4022547

Darren
    Keymaster

Hi Sophia
    When did you get

Hi Sophia

Darren
    Keymaster

Hi Sophia
    When did you get

Hi Sophia

Darren
    Keymaster

Hi Sophia
    When did you get

Hi Sophia

Darren
    Keymaster

Hi Sophia
    When did you get

Hi Sophia

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.