Leisure battery set up.

Home Forum topic Campervan Conversions Leisure battery set up.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Whippet
    Participant

Connecting an inverter
    I’m looking to put a leisure battery with inverter attached, into my LDV Maxus conversion. The battery and inverter will not be right next to each other, and i wondered, could I just run the positive cable from the battery to the inverter, and tag the negative cable from the inverter onto the bodywork? This would make the cabling quite a bit easier.

Darren
    Keymaster

Yes, it’s quite acceptable
    Yes, it’s quite acceptable and normal to use the vehicle body as a negative connection. It does help to reduce wiring.
    Ensure the cable you use from the leisure battery negative to the vehicle body is a good size, 10mm to 16mm.
    Also ensure where you connect to the vehicle body is a good solid fit, use a large bolt with washers, and ensure you scrape the paint off the body to ensure a really good flow of power.

Darren
    Keymaster

Yes, it’s quite acceptable and normal to use the vehicle body as a negative connection. It does help to reduce wiring.
    Ensure the cable you use from the leisure battery negative to the vehicle body is a good size, 10mm to 16mm.
    Also ensure where you connect to the vehicle body is a good solid fit, use a large bolt with washers, and ensure you scrape the paint off the body to ensure a really good flow of power.

Darren
    Keymaster

Whippet
    Participant

Thanks, I will also use the
    Thanks, I will also use the same size cable from the battery to the inverter.

Whippet
    Participant

Whippet
    Participant

bright spark
    Participant

but watch out for corrosion
    but watch out for corrosion around any fittings like this caused by chemical reactions with dissimilar metals, brass/steel etc, this would gradually interfere with the integrity of the connection

bright spark
    Participant

but watch out for corrosion around any fittings like this caused by chemical reactions with dissimilar metals, brass/steel etc, this would gradually interfere with the integrity of the connection

bright spark
    Participant

Whippet
    Participant

inverter/240V set up
    A bit of a delay on this job, but have a question regarding the switching between inverter and 240 V. I thought I’d use a single switch with the feed to the 240v sockets on the common and the 240v mains live on L1 and the inverter live feed on L2. This would mean teeing the three earths and three neutrals. Would this be a problem having the neutral from the 240v mains connected to the neutral from the inverter?

Whippet
    Participant

inverter/240V set up
    A bit of a delay on this job, but have a question regarding the switching between inverter and 240 V. I thought I’d use a single switch with the feed to the 240v sockets on the common and the 240v mains live on L1 and the inverter live feed on L2. This would mean teeing the three earths and three neutrals. Would this be a problem having the neutral from the 240v mains connected to the neutral from the inverter?

Whippet
    Participant

inverter/240V set up

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.