Leisure Battery Issues

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Vantastic Vanda
    Participant

Hi All,

Just wanted to see if anyone had had any suggestions/comment regarding a problem I have come across. Our van is a new conversion (6months or so). Just noticed a problem with our leisure batteries, both boiled over. One(A) just a little(now at 12.2v), the other(B) substantially(now at 11.9v).

Identical batteries bought at the same time, 130Ah flooded acid. In parallel, placed next to each other, short, well sized cables.

280W solar panel, with a proper 30A MPPT charger, set to Flooded settings.
    40A split relay, with appropriate fuses, charging at 13.8V.

I have never seen the batteries charged/charging beyond 14v. 13.7v is the norm.

They have never been discharged below 11.7v(the inverter cuts out at that point).

SO the question, Why would the batteries release acid(yes, it is acid) if the batteries are not being overcharged? And why would one seem more damaged than the other?

Is there any issue with Current rather than Voltage? Can a leisure battery be “forced” by the split relay being 40A? I always thought the load “draws” the current so as long as the voltage isn’t too high then the amount of current the supply is capable of, is not a problem.

I have a good knowledge of electronics, but is there something I am missing? Or is this just a dodgy battery? Can a rapid discharge cause boiling in a leisure battery? What am I not thinking of here?

Thanks in advance for your help

Tom

Darren
    Keymaster

It sounds like this is a problem with the batteries, as everything else in your system seems unlikely to cause a problem.

Have you checked the battery voltage in the sunshine, as I have had a solar controller overcharge batteries before.
    And also check the voltage when the engine is running.
    Anything up to 14.4v is normal.

Darren
    Keymaster

It sounds like this is a problem with the batteries, as everything else in your system seems unlikely to cause a problem.

Have you checked the battery voltage in the sunshine, as I have had a solar controller overcharge batteries before.
    And also check the voltage when the engine is running.
    Anything up to 14.4v is normal.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.