Legality of parking up overnight in Europe

Home Forum topic Camping Legality of parking up overnight in Europe

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    malross
    Participant

Hi all,

Novice question coming up. I saw a while back on TV that there are laws restricting where you can stop overnight in the UK; for caravans, at least, if not for campervans too. Does anyone know whether there are equivalent restrictions in any continental European countries? Or would my I just be able to stop at the side of a quiet road (in a sensible location, obviously) and kip down without fear of the law getting onto me?

Thanks,

Mal.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
  1. Thanks for that, Darren. Good
    Thanks for that, Darren. Good to know.

2. The laws are different in
    The laws are different in each European country.
    Most countries allow respectful camping. Some countries have restrictions in some areas. For example in Portugal wild camping is allowed in most areas. However, it is not technically allowed in the Algarve. Although it is allowed in some areas of the Algarve, but the Police have been cracking down on it a bit.

In some countries wild camping is banned, but the Police do allow it if done respectfully.

If you’re discrete you can normally get away with it without a problem. Always be discrete, and dont drink alcohol. If you do get moved on you can then drive away fine.