Law on seatbelts

Home Forum topic General Chit Chat Law on seatbelts

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Ernie17
    Participant

I have seen an older post on this and wanted to re-address..

I am considering a camping trip (to Europe from London) as a group of 8 people but so far can only find 7 seater vans.

In speaking to the hire company, the 7 seater has 8 seats in total but one doesn’t have a seat belt.

My query is, can I drive a 7 seater camper van (which has 8 seats) with 8 people in and not have any issues with Police in UK and continent?

(I have also read in an older thread that front facing seats only require seat belts but don’t know if this is still true or where it comes from?)

Anyway, I would appreciate any views or answers that anyone has on this. I suppose I would also ultimately be worried about any implications this may bring to the insurance/my license?

Thanks,

Ernie

mgroadster
    Participant

TBH The rental company should
    TBH The rental company should be fully versed in the use of their vehicles in this country and abroad as to the rules and regulations of Passenger carriage. I would press them a little harder for some effective guidelines from their perspective as the uses of the vehicle that they are renting out. The reason being, They are resposible for the insurance of the vehicle and SHOULD be very concise as to their insurers requirements.(If not, they should consult their insurers to get clear guidelines).

mgroadster
    Participant

TBH The rental company should be fully versed in the use of their vehicles in this country and abroad as to the rules and regulations of Passenger carriage. I would press them a little harder for some effective guidelines from their perspective as the uses of the vehicle that they are renting out. The reason being, They are resposible for the insurance of the vehicle and SHOULD be very concise as to their insurers requirements.(If not, they should consult their insurers to get clear guidelines).

mgroadster
    Participant

mgroadster
    Participant

mgroadster
    Participant

mgroadster
    Participant

mgroadster
    Participant

mgroadster
    Participant

mgroadster
    Participant

mgroadster
    Participant

mgroadster
    Participant

mgroadster
    Participant

Darren
    Keymaster

I agree, the insurance
    I agree, the insurance company should know exactly here. however, the rules are fluffy.
    The driver will almost certainly void the insurance if the 8th passenger is not wearing a seat belt.

I researched this before for this article:
    https://www.campervanlife.com/forum/campervan-conversions/seat-belts-regulations-and-guidelines-for-camper-vans-and-motorhomes

Darren
    Keymaster

I agree, the insurance
    I agree, the insurance company should know exactly here. however, the rules are fluffy.
    The driver will almost certainly void the insurance if the 8th passenger is not wearing a seat belt.

I researched this before for this article:
    https://www.campervanlife.com/forum/campervan-conversions/seat-belts-regulations-and-guidelines-for-camper-vans-and-motorhomes

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.