Is sleeping in a non-converted van illegal??

Home Forum topic General Chit Chat Is sleeping in a non-converted van illegal??

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    honeybee
    Participant

Hello everyone

We have been using our unconverted, bar a bit of carpet and ply-lined interior, commercial van for sleeping in whilst camping on many campsites over the last couple of years with no problems….until this weekend when we were told that not only could we not take our van onto the camping field but that it was illegal to sleep in it and the campsite owner reckoned he would be breaking the law if he allowed us to do so!

Now we are very doubtful that there is any truth in this as we have never encountered problems before and were in no way trying to pass off the van as a campervan, but wonderd if anyone has heard this too?

Our van is a Mercedes Vito and has no bulkhead, or side windows apart from in the front, but does have a rear window. It is heavily stickered whoch was the original reason the warden gave us for not allowing it on site until we mentioned we wanted to sleep in it….

Many thanks for any opinons, 😀

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
  1. twinwebber16001972 February 18, 2012 at 10:57 pm

IN BRITAIN, THE RULES/LAWS AS
    IN BRITAIN, THE RULES/LAWS AS TO WHAT QUALIFIES AS A LEGAL MOBILE HOME /CAMPER ARE STRANGE / ABSTRACT /JUST PLAIN WEIRD BUT THEY EXIST , IF U GOOGLE SUBJECT AND WADE THRU LOTS OF SITES U WILL SEE WHAT I MEAN , FELLA WAS PROB VERGING ON “CORRECT” THOU” NOT HAVING MET HIM , I DO KNOW SOME SITE OWNERS ARE NOT KEEN ON A)CAMPERS AND B)FUN VEHICLES THAT THEY CANNOT IMMEDIATELY PIGEONHOLE ! BEST 2 LOOK 4 A MORE ENLIGHTENED SITE

2. Alternatively put the tent up
    Alternatively put the tent up inside your van! 🙂

KS

3. sleeping
    put a little tent up next to the van. Sleep in the van 😉

1. Major Gruber’s Cool Comment –
      I love your comment! We have a VW Eurovan and your comment is so true, and keeps things simple:) Have a great day!

4. No. You can sleep in an
    No. You can sleep in an unconverted van legally. The state cannot decide what you sleep in.
    The campsite owner may not be allowed, due to his planning permission or insurance, to let people sleep in unconverted vans on his property. It’s more likely that he simply doesn’t want people to sleep in unconverted vans.
    I’d been turned away from campsites for having part converted vans, and also for no side windows.

5. am interested in answer to
    am interested in answer to this as i have a vito too thats only got carpet in back and i want to use it to sleep in on campsites.