Internal ‘decor’

Home Forum topic Campervan Conversions Internal ‘decor’

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Met_Al
    Participant

Hi all,
    I am in the process of converting a white Toyota Hiace with zero experience or knowledge and am pretty much making it up as I go along (expect plenty of questions to come!!).

So far I have insulated the walls and ceiling, covered the walls with hardboard sheets, layed plywood on the floor which I have covered with carpet tiles. The plan is for it to be a ‘stealth’ camper so no cutting holes in the walls or installing extra windows (the one at the back provides a fair bit of light).

Before I start putting in cupboards/furniture etc I wanted to get it looking half decent so my questions are around this:

1) Am thinking of putting some material over the walls and ceiling to look better than the board and insulation, probably using a staple gun to attach to the hardwood and insulation sheets – is this a good idea? if so can anyone recommend some appropriate materials?

2) Where I cannot line simply with boards (ie. corners, wheel arches etc) I had thought to leave exposed the metal but my issue is that as an old work van the paintwork is fairly tatty, scratched and stained. My plan is to paint over it in white. Again, is this a good idea? if so what paint should I use? do i need to worry about ventilation as I do drive the van everyday as my main vehicle.

Thanks in advance for any responses, I really am clueless!

Al

Bluebird
    Participant

Hope any of this helps
    Hello there

Sounds good so far, but when you say ‘hardboard’ do you mean that or thin plywood..? I ask as hardboard tends to attract moisture, goes a bit soft and sags quite often in the ‘harsh’ environment of a camper interior. The wild temperature variations it can experience and condesation from cooking and bodies do it no good at all – plus it lacks any stength to screw anything against.

That point out of the way, a lot of people use thin carpet inside as this adds an extra layer of insulation – just glue it on. For my own campers I just paint them, as they can be wiped down and repainted to suit yourself – plus I find carpeted walls and (especially) ceilings are a bit bizarre and dark in many cases – but each to their own. Household paints are fine on the inside – especially those designed for kitchens and bathrooms. Beware the extra condensation you’ll get on any exposed metal surfaces though.

My camper is a ‘stealth’ too – because it’s just so useful to be able to camp everywhere..! – I have no windows in the rear, but I have cut a small hole in the side over the cooker to provide a vent – covered on the outside by the type of aluminium vent grill you can buy in any DIY shop. These are often seen on the sides of vans, so doesn’t draw any attention – until, that is, the steam from a boiling kettle starts to waft out through it..!

Enjoy your building

Bluebird
    Participant

Hope any of this helps
    Hello there

Sounds good so far, but when you say ‘hardboard’ do you mean that or thin plywood..? I ask as hardboard tends to attract moisture, goes a bit soft and sags quite often in the ‘harsh’ environment of a camper interior. The wild temperature variations it can experience and condesation from cooking and bodies do it no good at all – plus it lacks any stength to screw anything against.

That point out of the way, a lot of people use thin carpet inside as this adds an extra layer of insulation – just glue it on. For my own campers I just paint them, as they can be wiped down and repainted to suit yourself – plus I find carpeted walls and (especially) ceilings are a bit bizarre and dark in many cases – but each to their own. Household paints are fine on the inside – especially those designed for kitchens and bathrooms. Beware the extra condensation you’ll get on any exposed metal surfaces though.

My camper is a ‘stealth’ too – because it’s just so useful to be able to camp everywhere..! – I have no windows in the rear, but I have cut a small hole in the side over the cooker to provide a vent – covered on the outside by the type of aluminium vent grill you can buy in any DIY shop. These are often seen on the sides of vans, so doesn’t draw any attention – until, that is, the steam from a boiling kettle starts to waft out through it..!

Enjoy your building

Bluebird
    Participant

Hope any of this helps
    Hello there

Enjoy your building

Bluebird
    Participant

Hope any of this helps
    Hello there

Enjoy your building

Bluebird
    Participant

Hope any of this helps
    Hello there

Enjoy your building

Bluebird
    Participant

Hope any of this helps
    Hello there

Enjoy your building

Bluebird
    Participant

Hope any of this helps
    Hello there

Enjoy your building

Bluebird
    Participant

Hope any of this helps
    Hello there

Enjoy your building

Bluebird
    Participant

Hope any of this helps
    Hello there

Enjoy your building

Bluebird
    Participant

Hope any of this helps
    Hello there

Enjoy your building

Bluebird
    Participant

Hope any of this helps
    Hello there

Enjoy your building

Bluebird
    Participant

Hope any of this helps
    Hello there

Enjoy your building

Bluebird
    Participant

Hope any of this helps
    Hello there

Enjoy your building

Bluebird
    Participant

Hope any of this helps
    Hello there

Enjoy your building

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.