Insulation/soundproofing

Home Forum topic Campervan Conversions Insulation/soundproofing

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Paulie
    Participant

Hi,

I have a g20 chevy that has 4″ insulation bats in the walls. I’m doing a renovation and am wondering what the noise difference would be like if I change the insulation to 1″ styrofoam. Do you think it would much louder while driving? And how about the temperature difference? One is R12 the other is R5. The interior now is looking old so a new reno would be nice.
    The change of insulation will give me about 4-6″more floor space (width), and by removing the fold down rear bench seat and making my own bed I can utilize the space better. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Darren
    Keymaster

I don’t think it will make a
    I don’t think it will make a massive difference to noise or temperature. If you are using the vehicle in very cold conditions I would think carefully about your insulation. Otherwise it sounds like a good idea to reclaim some of the floorspace with thiner insulation.

Darren
    Keymaster

I don’t think it will make a massive difference to noise or temperature. If you are using the vehicle in very cold conditions I would think carefully about your insulation. Otherwise it sounds like a good idea to reclaim some of the floorspace with thiner insulation.

Darren
    Keymaster

Paulie
    Participant

Thanks
    I use it mainly in the summer months for fishing. I’m not a winter camper but do occasionally sleep in it with a heater plugged in when I visit friends. Once/twice a year maybe. After thinking about this some more i’m leaning towards leaving it the way it is and just removing the bench seat/bed and making a new one. I can move it towards the rear another 6″ and with less framing under it i’ll have more space for storage.

Paulie
    Participant

Thanks
    I use it mainly in the summer months for fishing. I’m not a winter camper but do occasionally sleep in it with a heater plugged in when I visit friends. Once/twice a year maybe. After thinking about this some more i’m leaning towards leaving it the way it is and just removing the bench seat/bed and making a new one. I can move it towards the rear another 6″ and with less framing under it i’ll have more space for storage.

Paulie
    Participant

Thanks

Darren
    Keymaster

Go for it, change the
    Go for it, change the insulation to free up some space.

Darren
    Keymaster

Go for it, change the

Darren
    Keymaster

Go for it, change the

Anonymous

Nope. Took some things apart
    Nope. Took some things apart and decided it wasn’t worth it.

Anonymous

Anonymous

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.