Installing a safe in a transit

Home Forum topic Vehicle maintenance, suggestions and ideas Installing a safe in a transit

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    kiwidave
    Participant

Hi All

Ahead of 3 months in Europe, I want to install a small safe on the floor in our SWB transit, and am looking for a touch of advice if possible.

It was up on the hoist last week for MOT, so I managed to sneak a look underneath, there is a cross beam under the floor just behind the transmission. Aside from not drilling here (as I wont be able to secure the bolts), are there any other tips anyone can provide as to best place to put it?? The fold out bed runs down the drivers side wall, with storage underneath, so I I was going to put it in there.

Is it as simple as drilling through the floor and bolting it in, avoiding anything that is obviously in the way??

cheers

Dave

Safe in Transit….
    its a must I think if you’re going to Europe. As ive said elsewhere installing a safe WON’T stop theives breaking in but will most likely stop your valuables being lifted. My Bus was broken into in Barcelona last summer and the thieves went straight for the storage under the beds..where id stowed my things. So if I were you, i’d not only install a safe but either hide it elsewhere less obvious or do as i did and bolt an enormous old German Shell Box to the floor. Its big enough to stow everything away – even my laptop (which also had to be replaced after the break-in). I know if space is at a premium it may not be an option for you but for the peace of mind i get from having installed mine i’d recommend a big one. Hope this helps

Suz

Safe in Transit….
    its a must I think if you’re going to Europe. As ive said elsewhere installing a safe WON’T stop theives breaking in but will most likely stop your valuables being lifted. My Bus was broken into in Barcelona last summer and the thieves went straight for the storage under the beds..where id stowed my things. So if I were you, i’d not only install a safe but either hide it elsewhere less obvious or do as i did and bolt an enormous old German Shell Box to the floor. Its big enough to stow everything away – even my laptop (which also had to be replaced after the break-in). I know if space is at a premium it may not be an option for you but for the peace of mind i get from having installed mine i’d recommend a big one. Hope this helps

Suz

Safe in Transit….

Suz

Safe in Transit….

Suz

Darren
    Keymaster

I agree. A safe is a lot of
    I agree. A safe is a lot of work to fit. I hide my valuables in various places around the van. I even made a hidden cupboard feature for the laptop. Unless thieves have a lot of time to work the van over, I think one can prevent most thieves finding your valuables.

Darren
    Keymaster

I agree. A safe is a lot of work to fit. I hide my valuables in various places around the van. I even made a hidden cupboard feature for the laptop. Unless thieves have a lot of time to work the van over, I think one can prevent most thieves finding your valuables.

Darren
    Keymaster

Darren
    Keymaster

mgroadster
    Participant

If you bolt it in, ensure you
    If you bolt it in, ensure you burr the bolt heads & threads so it cannot be removed with a spanner.(Not even by you without oxy acetylene).Failing that, weld it in.

mgroadster
    Participant

If you bolt it in, ensure you burr the bolt heads & threads so it cannot be removed with a spanner.(Not even by you without oxy acetylene).Failing that, weld it in.

mgroadster
    Participant

mgroadster
    Participant

kiwidave
    Participant

Thanks All
    Suz, I have looked at a couple of small safes with mounting holes. We only have a SWB transit, so unfortunately there aren’t many places where it can go, under the bed is pretty much the only place where it can be bolted to the floor.

MG, had thought along those lines, and was considering using a plate of steel under side of the floor to help resist any efforts to pry if off the floor. Should they get some sort of bar under an edge of it from the top side, hopefully it will stop them taking the whole safe. Welding the nuts on the underneath seems like a good idea.

If they want to get in, I guess they will get in, just need to minimize losses!!

thanks
    Dave

kiwidave
    Participant

Thanks All
    Suz, I have looked at a couple of small safes with mounting holes. We only have a SWB transit, so unfortunately there aren’t many places where it can go, under the bed is pretty much the only place where it can be bolted to the floor.

MG, had thought along those lines, and was considering using a plate of steel under side of the floor to help resist any efforts to pry if off the floor. Should they get some sort of bar under an edge of it from the top side, hopefully it will stop them taking the whole safe. Welding the nuts on the underneath seems like a good idea.

If they want to get in, I guess they will get in, just need to minimize losses!!

thanks
    Dave

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.