I’m 19. Looking to travel. I have some campervan questions!

Home Forum topic Buying or selling a camper van I’m 19. Looking to travel. I have some campervan questions!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    lukecrumpet
    Participant

Hi guys, my first post on this forum and looking for some advice!

Basically, I’m 19. My family are moving away in September, and renting out the house.

I’m looking to get maybe a (basic) campervan, or do a van conversion (I’m quite handy!) and travel a little with friends / maybe the dog…Looking to spend around £6000 on the van itself.

> Insurance? (Apparently it’s very difficult for younger guys to get motorhome insurance… )
    > Insurance for other countries? Obviously the idea of this is so I can get out and about – what’s my best choice for cover throughout Europe etc?)
    > Electricity / WiFi? (I’m a freelance designer / writer. If I have some WiFi and my laptop I’m able to work anywhere, just about!)
    > Stealth vs Campervan? I understand campervans are built to be ‘lived’ in, but I do like the fact you’re a bit more under the radar with a stealth.

I’m a rookie guys, so thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out!

Thanks 🙂

Darren

Hi
    Hi

Great to hear of your travels.

I always recommend using an insurance broker such as http://www.campton.co.uk. The should be to give you information.

I recommend adding at least leisure battery. I am a web developer, and had 3 100AH leisure batteries in my last van. With a solar panel and split charge replay to charge from the engine, it worked quite well.
    Make sure your laptop is fairly up to date, so that the battery lasts many hours.

Wifi/3G is a problem. The easiest option is to find cafes with WiFi and take your laptop. If you need internet in your vehicle, you’ll have to investigate 3G sim cars wherever you go. I did this, and it can get expensive, and is quite a hassle, but is possible.

If you’re thinking of travelling in Europe don’t worry about the stealth part too much, as your UK plate and right hand drive will stand out anyway.
    I have a fairly stealth campervan. Black windows in the sides, and roof vents, but few other signals that it’s a campervan.
    I wouldn’t miss out features in the campervan when trying to be too stealthy.

Hope that helps

Darren

Darren

Hi
    Hi

Great to hear of your travels.

I always recommend using an insurance broker such as http://www.campton.co.uk. The should be to give you information.

I recommend adding at least leisure battery. I am a web developer, and had 3 100AH leisure batteries in my last van. With a solar panel and split charge replay to charge from the engine, it worked quite well.
    Make sure your laptop is fairly up to date, so that the battery lasts many hours.

Wifi/3G is a problem. The easiest option is to find cafes with WiFi and take your laptop. If you need internet in your vehicle, you’ll have to investigate 3G sim cars wherever you go. I did this, and it can get expensive, and is quite a hassle, but is possible.

If you’re thinking of travelling in Europe don’t worry about the stealth part too much, as your UK plate and right hand drive will stand out anyway.
    I have a fairly stealth campervan. Black windows in the sides, and roof vents, but few other signals that it’s a campervan.
    I wouldn’t miss out features in the campervan when trying to be too stealthy.

Hope that helps

Darren

Graham25
    Participant

Luke, are you still looking,
    Luke, are you still looking, if you are in my area Suffolk Norfolk Essex Cambridge I can drive round and show you my Mazda E2000 conversion see my other post for a spec. 07845 875238

Graham25
    Participant

Luke, are you still looking,
    Luke, are you still looking, if you are in my area Suffolk Norfolk Essex Cambridge I can drive round and show you my Mazda E2000 conversion see my other post for a spec. 07845 875238

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.