I either have a great AC solution or a terrible idea.. don’t know which.

Home Forum topic Campervan Conversions I either have a great AC solution or a terrible idea.. don’t know which.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Boomzilla
    Participant

With a properly insulated cargo van I don’t need anything like the 5000BTUs that a small window AC puts out. Not to mention the energy drain and big box sticking out a window..

I found this little portable AC unit and it seems like a great fit for what I need. Its a 1000BTU freestanding unit that apparently is designed to blow cold air at you and blow hot air away from you with no venting to the outside world. That strikes me as a horrible idea but There’s nothing stopping me from modifying it to vent externally.

The best part? It supposedly only runs on 250 watts! At that power consumption I could support it with a moderately sized photo voltaic system on the roof as long as it was sunny out.

What do you fine folks think?

https://americancomfort.com/acw-1000-btu-personal-air-cooler.asp

Owelly
    Participant

Numbers….?
    How big are your aux batteries?
    250w at 115v……..?

Owelly
    Participant

Numbers….?
    How big are your aux batteries?
    250w at 115v……..?

Owelly
    Participant

Apologies, that was a bit
    Apologies, that was a bit short!
    250w at 115v = 2.174amps
    250w at 240v = 1.04amps (if you’re using an inverter, they can have a 20-35% loss)
    250w at 12v = 20amps. If you have a 100ah battery, it would theoretically run for 4 hours. In reality, once the charge starts to drop in the battery, it will discharge quicker until it doesn’t have enough power to run the AC units. You’ll be lucky to get an hour out of it.
    So, how big are your batteries and PV panels?

Owelly
    Participant

Apologies, that was a bit
    Apologies, that was a bit short!
    250w at 115v = 2.174amps
    250w at 240v = 1.04amps (if you’re using an inverter, they can have a 20-35% loss)
    250w at 12v = 20amps. If you have a 100ah battery, it would theoretically run for 4 hours. In reality, once the charge starts to drop in the battery, it will discharge quicker until it doesn’t have enough power to run the AC units. You’ll be lucky to get an hour out of it.
    So, how big are your batteries and PV panels?

piratse
    Participant

I thought about this too. You
    I thought about this too. You would need a few batteries to run it and a good solar kit to keep charge. You also need to vent the exhaust out and drill a hole for the water to drain out of.

piratse
    Participant

I thought about this too. You
    I thought about this too. You would need a few batteries to run it and a good solar kit to keep charge. You also need to vent the exhaust out and drill a hole for the water to drain out of.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.