Hi newbie here

Home Forum topic Introduce Yourself Hi newbie here

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    ShabbyChic
    Participant

Hi all – have been lurking for a while and very much appreciate everyone’s helpful tips. I’m re-converting an abandoned conversion of a Suzuki Carry – I’ve insulated and lined it and went for a week’s camping with it this summer. Am pleased with it but still lots to do. Anyone got instructions for DIY stove and sink cupboards? Can’t afford professional ones. I don’t have woodworking skills but can make reasonable rough ones but don’t want them to end up looking too amateurish. Hope someone can help.

mgroadster
    Participant

Before I did my conversion, I
    Before I did my conversion, I had NEVER done anything like it before, however….I bought a used hob top & sink unit off Ebay.
    I then bought sheets of MDF from my local builders merchant and made two sides, a front & a back.
    I then cut out 3 squares in the front sheet to make cupboards and then cut out doors to cover the holes. I then put the small hinges on and put the doors on.
    I bought a worktop from B&Q and cut out the top to take the hob & sink.
    I covered the sides & front with red carpet I bought from “Carpetright” for a few quid and put stainless handles on the cupboard doors….looks a treat. If I can do it…YOU CAN DO IT! MDF & lining carpet is your friend.

mgroadster
    Participant

Before I did my conversion, I
    Before I did my conversion, I had NEVER done anything like it before, however….I bought a used hob top & sink unit off Ebay.
    I then bought sheets of MDF from my local builders merchant and made two sides, a front & a back.
    I then cut out 3 squares in the front sheet to make cupboards and then cut out doors to cover the holes. I then put the small hinges on and put the doors on.
    I bought a worktop from B&Q and cut out the top to take the hob & sink.
    I covered the sides & front with red carpet I bought from “Carpetright” for a few quid and put stainless handles on the cupboard doors….looks a treat. If I can do it…YOU CAN DO IT! MDF & lining carpet is your friend.

Darren
    Keymaster

I did all of mine using
    I did all of mine using plywood.

I made a simple cupboard and worktop and fitted the sink to it.

I hope these pictures help:

https://www.campervanlife.com/self-builds/darrens-mercedes-sprinter

https://www.campervanlife.com/galleries/1/3156

Darren
    Keymaster

I did all of mine using
    I did all of mine using plywood.

I made a simple cupboard and worktop and fitted the sink to it.

I hope these pictures help:

https://www.campervanlife.com/self-builds/darrens-mercedes-sprinter

https://www.campervanlife.com/galleries/1/3156

ShabbyChic
    Participant

Thanks for encouragement
    Yes I’ll definitely have to have a go – had a look at your photos and it looks great. But I might buy ready made cupboards and modify them. Thought I might make frames and cover them in thin laminated ply but I think I’ll make a botch of that.

ShabbyChic
    Participant

Thanks for encouragement
    Yes I’ll definitely have to have a go – had a look at your photos and it looks great. But I might buy ready made cupboards and modify them. Thought I might make frames and cover them in thin laminated ply but I think I’ll make a botch of that.

ShabbyChic
    Participant

Plywood
    Thanks for your encouragement Darren, you made a lovely job of your cupboards (I see you even matched up the grain between the doors) – I’ll keep studying other people’s photos for ideas.

ShabbyChic
    Participant

Plywood
    Thanks for your encouragement Darren, you made a lovely job of your cupboards (I see you even matched up the grain between the doors) – I’ll keep studying other people’s photos for ideas.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.