Hello from Wales!!

Home Forum topic Introduce Yourself Hello from Wales!!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Craig Thomas
    Participant

Hey guys, newbie here from Swansea in South Wales! You may be able to guess my actual name by my username ha. After helping my brother convert his VW T4 from a panel van into a lovely camper, I think the time has come for me to get one of my own. No idea what I’m looking at yet but planning a low budget build, so hopefully a T4 but also looking at the Transits, Vitos (although they seem to be very expensive on parts), or one of the cub/vannettes. My aim is to buy and build with a max total budget of £1500 (this includes buying the van)!!

Anywho, I’m full of ideas but look forward to trawling through here for inspiration and hopefully get to know some like minded people. Watch this space!

Big love! Craig

Darren
    Keymaster

Hi Craig
    Nice to hear from

Hi Craig

Nice to hear from you.
    Exciting plans for your camper.
    Have you thought about the Toyota Hiace, which would probably be my choice of small van for a conversion.
    Very reliable.
    But any of those vans are good. You’ll get a good bit of Transit for the same money, and they’ve become so much better over the years.

There are some nice ideas for smaller campers on this page:
    https://www.campervanlife.com/self-builds

Darren
    Keymaster

Hi Craig
    Nice to hear from

Hi Craig

Nice to hear from you.
    Exciting plans for your camper.
    Have you thought about the Toyota Hiace, which would probably be my choice of small van for a conversion.
    Very reliable.
    But any of those vans are good. You’ll get a good bit of Transit for the same money, and they’ve become so much better over the years.

There are some nice ideas for smaller campers on this page:
    https://www.campervanlife.com/self-builds

Craig Thomas
    Participant

Thanks for the link Darren.
    Thanks for the link Darren. Some great ideas on there, and the hiace is also a good shout, although these tend to be a bit on the expensive side to buy in relation to the budget. I must say I would have to go for a lwb van to convert as I’m quite tall! When I used to lie down in the back of the swb t4 my feet and head were pretty much against the bulkhead and rear door ha, so just that extra bit of space would be handy. Although saying that, something like a lwb sprinter would probably be too big for what I want, so I guess I’m looking for a small-mid sized van. I did see a nice 51 plate transit locally for £795ono but it’s very rusty!! I think I’ll pass on it

Craig Thomas
    Participant

Thanks for the link Darren.
    Thanks for the link Darren. Some great ideas on there, and the hiace is also a good shout, although these tend to be a bit on the expensive side to buy in relation to the budget. I must say I would have to go for a lwb van to convert as I’m quite tall! When I used to lie down in the back of the swb t4 my feet and head were pretty much against the bulkhead and rear door ha, so just that extra bit of space would be handy. Although saying that, something like a lwb sprinter would probably be too big for what I want, so I guess I’m looking for a small-mid sized van. I did see a nice 51 plate transit locally for £795ono but it’s very rusty!! I think I’ll pass on it

Philip Fouracre
    Participant

Blimey! I have just found
    Blimey! I have just found this site and thought it might be worth signing up. Not sure now having seen this post! Half way through my conversion and I am at about ten times the cost you have allocated!!!

Philip Fouracre
    Participant

Blimey! I have just found
    Blimey! I have just found this site and thought it might be worth signing up. Not sure now having seen this post! Half way through my conversion and I am at about ten times the cost you have allocated!!!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.