Greetings everybody

Home Forum topic Introduce Yourself Greetings everybody

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Lost Marbles
    Participant

Hi All

A special thank you to the guys who put this site together, it’s awesome.

I’m a 31 year old South African about to do a 6 month stint in Vienna for training. I’ve always enjoyed the concept of a campervan, but never had the chance to take it further than that. While exploring accommodation options, the idea of a campervan occurred and i just can’t shake it. If I can find the time before I’d like to do a conversion in Germany and take a road-trip to Vienna. I then plan to sell it when I leave to hopefully recoup as much as possible. It’ll also solve any transport issues when infrastructure doesn’t suit and i can view the country if I get some free time.

Wondering roughly how long a conversion takes, something like Darren’s 1st conversion. A second consideration is that I’m tall…would it be better to find a high top or stick with a standard, and maybe do a pop-top conversion. If the pop-top, any tips would be great.

You can be sure there will be lots of postings of the conversion and the adventure in general.

Thanks, hope to hear from you all

Oliver

Darren
    Keymaster

Hi Oliver
    Sounds like you

Hi Oliver

Sounds like you have a great plan there. You’ll be able to explore greatly.
    Germany is the best place to pick up a used VW or Mercedes.

My first conversion could be done in about 2 weeks if you have previous DIY experience and you plan well.
    A pop-top would add considerably more time and expensive to the conversion. I would rather go for a high-top. It’s more secure, easier and unless you intend on regularly parking in inner-city car parks with height restrictions, there are no real draw backs.

All the best

Darren

Darren
    Keymaster

Hi Oliver
    Sounds like you

Hi Oliver

Sounds like you have a great plan there. You’ll be able to explore greatly.
    Germany is the best place to pick up a used VW or Mercedes.

My first conversion could be done in about 2 weeks if you have previous DIY experience and you plan well.
    A pop-top would add considerably more time and expensive to the conversion. I would rather go for a high-top. It’s more secure, easier and unless you intend on regularly parking in inner-city car parks with height restrictions, there are no real draw backs.

All the best

Darren

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.